jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Clannad

Jul 2, 2011

Was it me, or was I the only one who didn't particularly like Clannad?  For me, the STORY was great.  I held high hopes for this anime because it was from the same company that created AIR - one of my favorite animes of all time.  However, I felt very let down.  I think I expected a lot more from Clannad, like vague ties coming together in the end to make a lot of sense, but instead I felt like I was watching a school anime (which, in it's defense, it pretty much was).  But I am a plot-anime girl, and if a plot isn't strong then I have to rely on the characters and I rarely like animes that make me do that.

The ANIMATION, as usual, was beautiful.  I am always taken aback by how beautiful Key creates their characters and their surroundings.  I like that sometimes the surroundings can look almost real, but there is still that bit of a cartoon-y look so it won't confuse reality with fantasy.

I loved the SOUND - I thought all the music was appropriately placed and enhanced the sequences.  I also didn't mind the voice acting, but I don't remember anything particularly wonderful standing out.  I watched this in English dub.

The CHARACTERS is what blew it, for me.  The plot wasn't strong which meant I was looking toward the characters for some fabulous character development and I just didn't feel like I got it.  I didn't love Tomoya and I barely tolerated Nagisa - so to already not like the main characters much... I knew this anime wasn't going to be for me.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this anime is medium.  For me, it was a mediocre series.  I actually think I might be rating it a bit higher than I would have had it not been developed by Key.  I guess I hold a soft spot for them.

OVERALL, I'd recommend this anime.  I must just be weird, because nearly all of my friends who have seen this, love it.  So, just don't expect the same sort of masterpiece that AIR delivered in the subtleties.  But I may go and re-watch this with a more open mind sometime soon.