jypsyjulia

Air Movie

2 JUL
2011

The STORY of AIR Movie varies from the story of the actual anime, and personally, I prefer the anime.  That being said, I didn't hate the movie - it just wasn't what I was expecting.  I think I was just expecting a re-telling of the anime and felt let down; so go in with an open mind and realize this is drastically different from the anime and you'll probably end up enjoying it more.  It's a bit more realistic, which I initially liked as well.  And (spoiler) Yukito and Misuzu actually kiss, finally.  I also rather liked the mythology aspect of it, and how it tied into the real world through Misuzu.

I didn't like the ANIMATION as much as I did in the series.  It wasn't bad, per say, but I didn't like the rounded effect and the translucent effect around all of the characters.  I understand that it is trying to create a dream-y atmosphere, but I found the anime to be even more compelling without that quality.  I think I'm beginning to compare it to the anime, so let me see it as a separate entity.  For me, the dream-y atmosphere it gives leads me to believe there is going to be a lot more of the supernatural than there is.

The SOUND was fine for me.  I enjoyed all of the voice actors (I saw this in English dub) and I liked their work previously, so I knew I'd like it again.  I also love all of the music.  It is so soft and melodic and I found that to be very nice.

The CHARACTERS are gold for me.  I loved Misuzu's dream-y personality and Yukito's sarcastic tones that always seemed to mix perfectly.  I thought the supporting characters in this movie seemed to just be add-ons, however, and I wished there could have been more interaction and character development - although I did love watching Mizusu and Haruka's relationship grow.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this movie was quite high and I believe I've seen the movie more than a few times.  I especially loved that she was very into the Mythology.  I believe, however, that a lot of my like for AIR and the AIR movie comes from the fact that I see a lot of myself in Mizusu and Kano - so I may be biased.

OVERALL, I quite enjoyed this re-telling.  I would recommend it to probably anyone, as long as they don't have a strong dislike for things being a bit too cheesy sometimes (which this movie had a tendency to do).

Other Anime Reviews by jypsyjulia

Chobits user review by jypsyjulia

Chobits

Eden of the East user review by jypsyjulia

Eden of the East

Hourou Musuko user review by jypsyjulia

Hourou Musuko