jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Air Movie

Jul 2, 2011

The STORY of AIR Movie varies from the story of the actual anime, and personally, I prefer the anime.  That being said, I didn't hate the movie - it just wasn't what I was expecting.  I think I was just expecting a re-telling of the anime and felt let down; so go in with an open mind and realize this is drastically different from the anime and you'll probably end up enjoying it more.  It's a bit more realistic, which I initially liked as well.  And (spoiler) Yukito and Misuzu actually kiss, finally.  I also rather liked the mythology aspect of it, and how it tied into the real world through Misuzu.

I didn't like the ANIMATION as much as I did in the series.  It wasn't bad, per say, but I didn't like the rounded effect and the translucent effect around all of the characters.  I understand that it is trying to create a dream-y atmosphere, but I found the anime to be even more compelling without that quality.  I think I'm beginning to compare it to the anime, so let me see it as a separate entity.  For me, the dream-y atmosphere it gives leads me to believe there is going to be a lot more of the supernatural than there is.

The SOUND was fine for me.  I enjoyed all of the voice actors (I saw this in English dub) and I liked their work previously, so I knew I'd like it again.  I also love all of the music.  It is so soft and melodic and I found that to be very nice.

The CHARACTERS are gold for me.  I loved Misuzu's dream-y personality and Yukito's sarcastic tones that always seemed to mix perfectly.  I thought the supporting characters in this movie seemed to just be add-ons, however, and I wished there could have been more interaction and character development - although I did love watching Mizusu and Haruka's relationship grow.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this movie was quite high and I believe I've seen the movie more than a few times.  I especially loved that she was very into the Mythology.  I believe, however, that a lot of my like for AIR and the AIR movie comes from the fact that I see a lot of myself in Mizusu and Kano - so I may be biased.

OVERALL, I quite enjoyed this re-telling.  I would recommend it to probably anyone, as long as they don't have a strong dislike for things being a bit too cheesy sometimes (which this movie had a tendency to do).