jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Hourou Musuko

Apr 10, 2011

At first glance, I only watched this anime because I thought that the water colour graphics were pretty.  After reading the premise, I wasn't "turned off", per say, but I was a little more amused, than anything.  However, this story line has something to offer that quite a bit of anime are lacking: the complete and total exploration of the human soul.  I have never seen such a beautifully crafted anime that is able to create such a character development in only 11 episodes.

The animation is absolutely outstanding, in my opinion; although I have read various other reviews where the water color schemed seemed to turn people away from it.  For me, the animation only added to characters.  It is soft and unabrasive, much like Nitorin's personality, and it has a feeling of lightness that perfectly matches the anime's pace.

The story revolves around a young boy named Nitori who has always wanted to be a girl.  He finds boys clothes to be boring and redundant and loves frills and lace.  At first, I did not appreciate his character so much.  I found that he was a bit spineless and let people walk all over him, never really living up to his potential.  However, that quickly changed as the series progressed.

Takatsuki, the main female protaganist, is a girl who wants to be a boy.  Immediately, you can see the difference between the two.  In one episode, Takasuki is forced to finally wear a bra.  However, when she asks Nitorin if he would like to wear a bra, he says no.  Her desire to be a boy is much greater than his desire to be a girl.  This is also revealed in their love interests.  Takatsuki never really has a love interest (unless you count Chiba, who the anime seems to insinuate will become something), but Nitorin has always only liked girls.

This is an anime about details.  It is in the details of the characters personalities that we are able to see them for who they are.  This is an exquisite anime, and if you can get past the slow moving pace of it (however, it is a steady pace) and try and focus more on the characters than anything else, I believe that it will open your eyes to the human condition.

jypsyjulia says...

Hmm, I have never heard of it, but I will definitely check it out.  Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Jun 28, 2011
XxZeroeZxX says...

I'm glad I wasn't being cynical about the Takatsuki x Chiba connection in the ladder parts of the series (as I was concerned I might have been)... Also, if you haven't, you should check out Kannagi as it is another series that excels in its subtleties.

Apr 23, 2011