jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Sunday Without God

Sep 29, 2013

Um... wut?  Spoilers ahoy!

I just don't understand what on earth I just witnessed.  Sunday Without God had a cool story behind it: God left the world to its own doing and people can no longer die without being buried by a gravekeeper.  Ai, the protagonist, happens to be the only person alive who is half-gravekeeper and half-human.  At first, the story is following her and her journey with a man who may or may not be her father.  After that, things get weird.

I feel as if there was never any true plot to this story, but just a bunch of smaller ones thrown together into a mindless series of arcs.  Like when she went to the undead city.  Then she went to the school.  Then she went to Alis's class.  I think that all fo these mini-arcs went way too fast and I don't understand why an anime would have five separate stories in twelve episodes.  The result was terrible pacing and no satisfaction in the endings.  I never felt any sense of closure.

Also, in the last arc, why on earth did Alis not just destroy the world to begin with?  What was the point of bringing Ai and disrupting the balance of the school if all he had to do was remind the students that he was dead and that they had made a wish for it to have never happened?  Why did't he create the portal fourteen years ago?  Seriously, what was the point of that entire arc?

No, seriously.  The plot in this anime was horrible.  I think that's the first time I've ever given a 1/10 for the story part of a review.

The animation was pretty... but that's really it.  I don't have anything spectacular to say about it except that.  It just looked like another video-game-turned-anime series to me, something we are seeing much too much of nowadays.  There were some pretty cool looking characters in the undead city, though.  Other than that, this sort of looked a bit like a CLAMP anime... did anyone else get that feeling?

The sound was, once again, just fine.  All of the seiyuus were fine, the OPs were fine, the background music was fine... you get the picture.  I think the only outstanding point was the ending song.  I really found it to be beautiful and even googled it.

The characters were just... not for me.  Scar is a gravekeeper who isn't supposed to feel anything and yet ends up loving a baby?  Ai is a half-human/half-gravekeeper mix and yet is never really hunted for it?  No, that is a weird combination.  I feel like a lot more attention should have been paid to that.  She is also a typical shoujo heroine.  Alis is a boy who is seriously confused about how to do things for himself.  Hampnie is there... and then he's not.  Do you get the picture?  Not one of these characters was memorable and that is sad news.

My personal enjoyment of this series was probably something of a 6/10.  Despite its obvious flaws, I still watched it when it came out every week.  I was still touched sometimes by Ai's hardworking attitude.  There were a lot of sweet moments in it.

Overall, though, I wouldn't recommend this.  I think it had a decent base summary that failed in execution when they tried to deviate into smaller plot points.

jypsyjulia says...

Thanks!  Once I figured out it was only going to be 12 episodes, I started to feel a little hesitant, but then I thought they might do one of those ultra convenient episode finales where they throw all the answers at you in 20 minutes.

I guess that was also wishful thinking. xD

Mar 4, 2014
Timotheism says...

Spot on my friend. I am also perplexed. I guess I figured out - after the 12th episode - nothing was going to make sense.. Although I was hoping it would.

Feb 15, 2014