jypsyjulia's avatar

• Joined Feb 20, 2011

Yuru Yuri

Feb 24, 2013

The cuteness, omg.

The STORY of Yuru Yuri is a plain and simple one that follows the lives of middle school girls as they go about during they day-to-day lives.  There is really not much in the form of story that could make this anime exciting because this is very much a character-based series.

The ANIMATION was... perfectly fine?  There wasn't anything that made it stand out from other animes, to be honest.  It's cute, to be sure, but that's about all it has going for it.

The SOUND might be a hit-or-miss for people.  I've read some reviews that hated the OP, but I LOVED it.  At first, I thought it was really annoying, but as I continued watching the series, I couldn't help but start singing along and bobbing my head.  It's very catchy.  The seiyuus also did a wonderful job and each character's voice matched perfectly to their personalities.

Okay... CHARACTERS.  This is what made Yuru Yuri fantastic for me!  I really loved all of them, but I especially loved Yui.  She is so calm and collected and cool.  Of course, it's Kyoko who the show really revolves around, mostly because the writers probably wanted it this way, but also because her personality is very domineering and over-the-top.  I also enjoyed the on-going pranks with Akarin being invisible and having no presence. You can't help but feel sorry for her while you're laughing at her.

I did not like the sexual harrassment with Akarin, though, and I need to put that out there.  It's not cool and it's never funny and I hate when anime try and make it okay.

OVERALL, this is a show for laughs.  There's not much seriousness that happens in the show, but that's okay!  It's not a serious show and if you're looking for something mellow and contemplative, skip this.  If you're looking for some light-hearted fun with some girl-love on the side and slapstick humor, then give this one a whirl.

jypsyjulia says...

Hey, kio!

I'm currently in the middle of the 2nd season now and loving it as well.  Sorry that you didn't love the 1st season, but I'm glad the 2nd one has caught your attention :)  This might just be a hit-or-miss kind of show for people.  My brother would rather kill himself than watch this, which is his opinion, whereas my brother-in-law saw a few episodes with me and couldn't stop laughing!  It's all preference, really. :)

Thanks for your comment!

Mar 3, 2013
kio3459 says...

i completely agree with this statement - "OVERALL, this is a show for laughs."

I have to say that I didnt really like the 1st season at all.. I found the 2nd season a whole lot better (funnier, more k-on like if that makes any sense).  I felt like the writers found a nice rythm and I kinda wanna see more Yuri Yuri.

I think people who stalled/dropped need to give the show more of chance.. Honestly i was about to drop the show 5 eps in.

Nice review (you nailed the characters part in your review).. For anyone thats boderline dropping, not watching.. Heres my advice.. Its gets better (the characters are great, espically Akrin's running gag and Kyoko being pretty much awesome).  Theres less "girl crushin" in the 2nd season, which is why I think its better.

Mar 3, 2013