inkbrain's avatar

• Joined Feb 16, 2009
  • ? / ?

Denno Coil

Feb 16, 2013

First of all: please don't dismiss this anime purely because it has the tag 'family friendly' applied to it! That would be a real shame, because it's a beautiful story that anybody can enjoy regardless of age.

In the futuristic world of Denno Coil, the internet has become ingrained in reality itself (AKA augmented reality) and can be directly, physically interacted with by using special glasses. These glasses have become a way of life for many people, kids in particular. It's through this technology that the characters of Denno Coil discover friendship, adventure, mystery and even love.

The use of the glasses and this mysterious world that the characters explore is what makes Denno Coil such an engaging anime, as it really does seem possible that similar technology could be implemented in the real world in the near future. But Denno Coil is fortunately much more than an interesting, sci-fi concept; the characters, story and animation are all superb and serve to create a truly unforgettable series.

Without giving too much away, the series is at its heart a coming-of-age tale with a sci-fi twist. A key theme is coming to terms with the death of a loved one, but it's not handled in a silly, syrupy way as is common in loads of anime. Rather, it manages to be both poignant and thought-provoking; quite a feat considering this is billed as a children's anime!

Anyway, I can't be bothered to ramble on but I absolutely loved this series. A wonderfully unique experience and one of the few anime series that I can see myself watching again. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

8.5/10