illarae's avatar

Gokusen

Sep 4, 2012

Short review.

Story - 7.5/10

If you've seen Great Teacher Onizuka, this is just what Gokusen is about. Only it's a female and she's the heir of a Yakuza gang. I've always liked the idea of teachers dealing with delinquents and changing them into better people. It's one of those animes that actually inspires me and that teaching is actually a very rewarding job. Plus, the slapstick comedy is pretty good in this one. Only thing that bugged me was that the anime didn't incorporate a lot of the elements I liked in the manga. Not a fan of animes that just "tease" audiences into reading the manga. So the storyline seemed like it was lacking.

Animation - 6/10

Animation wasn't beautiful at all, in comparison to those animes with CGI effects. But just because it's not beautiful or that "modern", it doesn't mean we shouldn't appreciate it. This animation style reminded me of old school animes. This is what most of the animes looked like a few decades back.  If you watch this being oblivious to better animation art of other animes, you wouldn't be complaining.

Sound - 6/10

The theme songs aren't the kind of music I like, but I thought it fit appropriately for this genre of anime. The opening theme sounds pretty kick ass to me. But again, sound effects weren't that fabulous. Just enough to get the anime by.

Characters - 6/10

Besides Yankumi and Shin, I thought the other characters seemed pretty one dimensional and only seemed to be there for one purpose only. Either it was for comedy, or just for the anime's extra drama etc. Most of them didn't really seem likeable at all either even though their backgrounds were hinted at. Maybe it was because the anime was just too short, it couldn't go into detail with anyone of them.

Overall - 7.5/10

May not be a fabulous anime but it is definitely an anime to appreciate. Gives girls a chance to feel girl power and witness a woman saving guys' asses instead of the other way round. It's a refreshing watch just seeing how Yankumi is so badass.

7.5/10 story