iiT3CK's avatar

iiT3CK

• Sheridan, OR
  • Joined May 17, 2013

Warning - Contains Spoilers

Hmmm, how do I summarize the story line.... I probably no less about the show than I did to start with. I'm more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles. I actually googled what happens in this show, and if you want a good laugh you should follow in my footsteps. There are literally thousands of theories. Essentially it's about a girl named Lain, who exists in the real world, but she's a god in another... Except there is no real world? I have no idea. I can't even give an honest review because I have no idea what was happening. At all. The only reason I gave it a good score for the story portion is because It's incredibly original. I've never been so confused in my life, so props for that. It also completly bends your sense of reality, and truly gives you a strange vibe of what's real and what's not in our world. So many questions, so many theories. Most open ended show I've ever seen, and for that I give it props.

Animation:

The animation for the show is actually pretty low end in my opinion. Old or not, you can tell it certainly didn't have a great budget. But it does have a very unique delivery, going between worlds. It almost seems unorthodox the way they animated the show, and I can appreciate that to a point.

Sound:

The sound track, and overall sound quality of this show is average at best. Nothing spectacular by any means. Dubs were mediocre. Sound track was mediocre. Once again I think this just boils down to the liklihood of a low budget. The only song I can even remeber from the show is "Track 44" because it was announced everytime they played it.

The charcters get a pretty low score. And for good reason. First of all, no one except Lain has any depth to them at all. You never learn a thing about anyone except there names, and even that's questionable. Furthermore, can you honestly tell me anything about lain? If you asked me to describe her as a person... how would I respond? I'm still trying to figure out if Lain just doesn't have any charcter explanations or if she just has way to much depth to her charcter.

Overall:

Serial Experiments Lain isn't really something to be explained; it's something to be experienced. I give it a pretty low rating, but that's not because I think it was bad, I just feel like I deserve an explanation considering this show made my brain feel like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. If your interested in pounding your face against the wall repeatedly, this show is right up your alley. Cheers.

~Phan†om