iiT3CK

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei

27 MAY
2013

Warning - Contains Spoilers

I have an image that sums up this OVA pretty nicely.....

To be honest, they're isn't much of a story. More of the same really, just with a lot less impact on the viewers. I do give the creators credit though. It gives the fans a little more Higurashi, with a decent story. Still, don't expect much from the OVA. This is regarded as the 3rd season of the series, but truthfully it has no correlation with the storyline at all; or at least it's very minimal. Still though, It's not terrible. Fan serviced or not.

Animation:

As with all the other Higurashi instalations I give the animation a 6/10. The animation is consistantly the same, which includes this particular OVA.

Sound:

I was pretty disheartened, in particularly with this section. even with familiar settings, it seemed the different music drastically altered the atmosphere of the show. I sincerly missed the first seasons soundtrack. It is decent though, so I won't complain to much.

This was a very interesting turn in the series; at least for myself. Essentially everyone is a good kid, except Rika. And to be blunt, the series isn't very entertaining without the original charcters. Aside from Rika going game breaker with a chair, there isn't much violence at all. And the complete change in personalities for the remaining cast is really hard to buy into at this point. I was relatively dissapointed with how they portrayed the cast.

Overall:

Overall, just don't expect much from Higurashi Rei. It's not bad, but it's certainly not that great either. I now this is a relatively short and mediocre review, but honestly they're just isnt much to say about this OVA other than its mediocre itself. It's worth a watch if you have nothing productive to do like myself.

~Phan†om