iiT3CK's avatar

• Joined May 17, 2013

Grave of the Fireflies

May 24, 2013

Warning - Contains Spoilers

The story to this movie was very dull, in my opinion. In a way, I can certainly feel for the characters, however at the same time it was kind of nonsense. Let me elaborate a bit, the main characters mother dies, and he decides to grieve by doing flips on the monkey bars and laugh about the situation. His father dies, and he doesn't show remorse than either. Than his little sister dies; who is clearly the only person our protagonist cares about; and he still doesn't shed a tear. Aside from that though, what made this movie exceptionally dull is that 80% of the film is centered around trying to find food. If I went down to a local subway, and filmed a homeless man for a couple hours, it would have been the same concept. Furthermore, and I know this makes me sound heartless, but I just did not find this movie very sad at all; whicch for the record is pretty much the selling point for the film. When I intially heard of this film, it was made out to be so deppressing it made Schindler's list look like a comedy. The latter was not true. Overall, the story was just painfully reppetitive, slow paced, and boring.

Animation/Sound:

To be completly fair, the animation is pretty good considering how old the movie is. So I won't rip on the animation itself. However, the sound was garbage. Truthfully, I'm on the dubbed anime train; but the dubs for this film kinda sucked, which also really took away from the quality of this film.

I briefly touched on this subject earlier, but aside from the protagonist, the other characters arn't any different. After watching this film I asked myself, how many of the characters in this show did I actually like? The answer is none. Don't get me wrong, I didn't neccesarily hate all the characters; I just didn't really like them that much either. I think this is also what made it hard for me to appreciate the film as a whole. Essentially the two main characters are very dull and everyone else is pretty much a deuche bag.

Overall:

Overall I truthfully didn't care for this film a bit. It's insanely overrated. The only good thing I can truthfully say about watching this film, is that I got to crack a few funny jokes in my review.

~Phan†om

7.5/10 animation
4.8/10 overall

ShionSonozaki says...

Okay, I'd like to make it clear that I am NOT flaming this review. I'm simply trying to comment a little on your reasons for disliking it (I'll probably talk more about it when I get off my lazy butt and review the movie myself). So yeah, no hosility meant by this comment at all.

This movie was not made to be a 'sad film'. Despite what you might hear, this movie was not made with the intention of pulling heart strings or jerking tears. Instead, this movie was actually made for a very cultural reason invloving the time it was made. You see, at the time this movie was made, japan had just about recovered from the effects of WW2 and, as a result, the economy was booming and, because of this, the youth crime rate in japan was at an all time high (a lot of that was what akira was adressing as well). As a result, Takahada made this film as a message to the youth of japan, in order to tell them not to isolate themselves and not to disrespect the people who had went through a very dark time in japanese history to give them the glorious economy they have now. You can see this clearly near the end of the film when Seita and his sister are sitting on a bench and Seita looks directly to the audience and then looks over a modern day japan while the fireflies surround them.

You see, the idea with the fireflies is that they don't last long. They burn brightly for a short while and then they wither and die. And that's largely what happened to the japanese economy as well, it burned brightly then withered away, leaving the younger generation of japan at that time to focus on whats important. Seita, in a way, is meant to represent the generation of the time, a kid who feels he can live on his own without any guidence and then ultimatly manages to lose his sister with only himself to blame. It wasn't made to jerk tears, it wasn't meant to serve as an anti-war film (even the director has stressed multiple times that this is not an anti-war film or made to show the horrors of war. War is, of course, horrible but that's not what he was trying to say).

It was made to directly address something and tell a story Takahada felt he needed to tell. Hopefully you can take what I said and watch the film again and maybe see it in a different light?

Again, no hostility meant by this comment and I'm not trying to force you to like something you don't like. I'm simply offering a different point of view.

Aug 1, 2013