hill506's avatar

hill506

• United States
  • Joined Oct 31, 2011
  • ? / ?

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (or "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou") took me by surprise. My friend recommended the show to me quite a while back and after putting it off for a bit, I decided to give it a try.

When the show starts it seems to be another, slightly above average show. It was a little bit funny here and there, had an interesting concept or two, but all in all I did not expect anything outstanding from it.

Then the show continued.

The show got funnier as I understood how each character worked and I came to understand them more. Then the show gets serious, while still remaining touching. Overall I did not expect this at all.

The animation is just great. Nothing revolutionary, but it does what it needs to do very well. You can see this kind of well done animation in most newer shows around now (around 2013). It does what it needs to do, and in a few rare cases goes above that when needed.

The music and sound effects are spot on, again, fufilling their purpose and sometimes going just above that. The one thing that really stands out are the voices of the characters, which stand out and resonate very well with what they are trying to do.

If this show shines somewhere, it is here. The characters are... people. They are crazy, zany, different, unique, and more real than almost any other show out there.

Many of them have strange tendencies, quirks, or attitudes, which are all have a reason to be. They all have things they are good at, dispite whether they know it or not, and they all react very organically to each other. Some clash, love, hate, turn to, shy away from one another all very logically and emotionally.

Hopefully you will grow to love (and maybe hate) some of these characters as much as I did and still do.

Overall/Conclusion

The show is worth the watch for anyone who likes a touching story and a bit of comedy, but be forewarned. The story gets very sad, depressing, and quite touching at parts. I cried a bit when watching the second to last episode, along with a few others along the way.

The show is really worth sticking through, dispite its slightly lackluster begining.

...and I have to bring out one last thing that always must be addressed (but not spoiledif possible). The ending. The ending is good, conclusive, and well though out... but

[SPOILER WARNING]
It is not a big spoiler, but the show kind of ends on the whole "and everything continues the way it was" type of ending, although it was finite enough that it did not upset me too much.

[SPOILER ENDING]

Alternate Recommendations

If you enjoyed this show, want to see others like it, or want to know what it is similar to I will point you towards these other shows [shows are normally order or relevance]:

Angel Beats- Like this show it as interesting characters, is very funny, and gets more and more touching the father you go.

Working- Another comedy which falls less into the "drama" side and more in the side of "interesting characters and a good amount of laughs." If you liked the comedic style of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojou then you will most likely enjoy this.

The iDOLM@STER- Again, has all very unique characters, but by comparison is must more of a feel-good show, as it very rarely gets sad.

Clannad- Fits so well to "funny show that turns sad" your tears of laughter will turn into tears of sorrow. Be warned about this show, it is a great work of literature.