hamletsmage's avatar

• Edge of Reason
  • Joined Apr 17, 2011

Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu

Oct 29, 2011

Quick! Think of any Magical Girl anime you have ever seen. Got the image in your head? Perfect, let's continue.

Story: As with a lot of magical girl anime, the protagonist suddenly finds themself in the middle of a battle to save the world. Why? Well, because she was destined to save the world, that's why! Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu takes that archetype and adds "the protagonist just falls into the world". Literally. Along with learning to use her new found powers, Arusu spends most of the anime turning the Witch World on its head. Like Alice Through the Looking Glass... with witches.

Animation: In true Studio 4C style, the animation is rather quirky. While the main group of characters are rather detailed and interestingly designed, the side characters are all blobbish, unfortunately looking creatures. The fairies and world settings are something Tim Burton might have pulled from his twisted mind, and that just adds to the ambiance of this anime.

Sound: All I can say, is this music is what I imagined everytime I heard a fairytale as a child.

Characters: Apart from the unfortunate looking creatures (aka the side witches who don't matter to the plot), you have the "Magical Girl Team" and the head witches. The team consists of powerful, headstrong Arusu, ditzy Eva, and bossy, strict Sheila. Sound similar to that magical girl anime I had you think about earlier? It should.

Overall: Looking for a good fairytale? Cute and sweet with the power of friendship? This is for you.