greg975

Azumanga Daioh

1 FEB
2011

"Slice of life" this tag pretty much sums up what this anime is all about. Lovers of intense story telling and great plot twists it won't be to your liking. The viewers might wonder then what is in it for them. The answer is simple; tons and tons of laughters. The humour shines to the point you couldn't care less for any kind of story telling or even greater animation.

The only times I didn't laugh were those with Japanese puns, they are plentiful and although they can be explained with the side-notes coming with some sutitles the jokes won't be funny anyway (or almost).

Yet this anime truly a must-watch for anyone searching for good laughs.

Animation :

The weakest point of the show. Emotions are well carried but overall it's still too minimalist. I still rate this part of the show higher because of the character design, especially Tomo and Kagura's.

Sound:

Greatness is the accurate word to use here, each voice belongs perfectly to each character, the musics truly fit the different moments and help the humour. Personally, I can't get enough of Tomo's voice.

This is where the show becomes stellar, without them the humour just wouldn't be, from the slow-minded Osaka to the very cute Chiyo-chan, they all play their roles, never feeling stereotyped yet having clearly difined personalities. My only problem is with the male teacher who was so creepy he hardly allowed me to laugh, I just couldn't stand him.

Overall:

An absolute must-watch, period. Simply one of the best anime I've ever got to enjoy and except from the animation, I couldn't help but feel it was too minimal, this anime is almost flawless.

Other Anime Reviews by greg975