genesic123's avatar

genesic123

• Joined May 17, 2013
  • 23 / ?

Note: What ever you do, don't read past chpt 189,the arc after that has been axed before it could finish.Shonen Sunday had this new "55 manga' move.Thus,  despite doing relatively well in sales,TWGOK was axed for this.My review is based on just first 189 chapters,and the series could end there just fine.

In an age where genre, permise and success formulas define anime.TWGOK shows that originality could still exist.TWGOK may have the elements of a romantic comedy,you are supposed to laugh a lot but as a whole it takes itself seriously.I don't mean it in the superficial violence and pretentiousness,its more of Responsibility,how characters interact with one another and how conflict is resolved.Lets start with the conquests,Unlike other romantic comedies the girls aren't there for the sake of getting them.you'd realize each girl is idealistic and we see how they genuinely struggle against reality.Keima's basically gives them the courage to face it.We see the girls gradually come to tems with this on their own through Keima.The girls for once felt like characters that can stand on their own merits as opposed to just making the main look good.Hence the original concept only this manga has "Our Ideals Versus Reality."

I 'm not a big fan of romantic comedies due to contrived romances and Drama.but in Twgok it is actually is very reasonable cause the main character puts in the EFFORT and is not dependent on dating sim logic only to succeded,and the ultimate objective of TWGOK is understanding.It seems absurd at first,but actual thought was put into this.

Keima is an "actor',but how much of it is true?

TWGOK is a reminder that we are greater that the sum of our parts and celebrates this,while keeping a lighthearted yet down-to-earth tone.It's understanding of reality is not something that is rivaled by even the most serious of anime and manga I have seen,For TWGOK understood that darker is not deeper.

The story is not really about otakuism but of a coming of age story.The main character may be an otaku,but its not about his fear but his hate or dislike.As the series progress we are reminded of how Human he really is.

What Keima goes through is something everybody to a certain extent goes through.

They aren't shonen Jump DBZ villans thats for sure.You actually get to see an analogy of politics and even corruption.Their motivations are in line with their actions.They aren't sympathetic villans,but you understand where their coming form.Logic ,reason,courage and determination are actually genuine here for the Protagonists,No unreasonable convenient miracle power up here .Its awesome to see a mere human stand up against them using just down to earth statics.

What was so bad about post 189 you ask?A forced politically corrrect ending that ironically showed Keima regressing as a character in his attitude,Time travel demon reveal,and a sheer insult to the other characters in  the manga.

I also want to talk about anime and manga in general and TWGOK's place in it.

Its a shame that great writing such as this would go into obscurilty,for anime has been completely turned into mindless Moe and angst due to evangelion and clannad.

And anime fandom has been clearly  divided into otaku or hipsters,of the "Date a live" and "Watamote" side.Either is all about fanservice or just trying to show off to each other.

TWGOK was made in the spirit of the first Gundam series  or Miazaki Flims ,it wanted to see what new possibilities were out there,for the spirit and passion of good storytelling.And the two animes that I have mention above ripped TWGOK off to mock that idea.

Kudos  to TWGOk,for being one the last bastion of quality that anime and manga has to offer.Lets hope that Wakaki would make a new  series that could reach out to a broader audience,or better still become the traliblazer of the anime and manga industry.