gekoladie's avatar

• England
  • Joined Apr 12, 2011

Sailor Moon

Apr 25, 2011

I'm a sucker for Sailor Moon. It genuinely is the first anime I ever watched because the dub was on very early on Saturday mornings when I was a small child. I can still remember watching it at least 10 years on. I suppose I have to thank Sailor Moon for getting me into anime. Even though it was made before I was born, I still 'connected' with the characters in the way they were designed to - especially the costumes. As a blonde haired blue eyed child, it was my ambition (for about two weeks) to become Sailor Moon!

The story is pretty basic. Serena/Usagi meets a cat one day, it gives her a locket thing that transforms her into Sailor Moon. Tuxedo Mask, a.k.a. Darrien Shields/Mamoru appears a lot and is dark and mysterious and Serena/Usagi inevitably falls for him, there are a couple of episodes with battles in, they pick up Sailor Mercury, more battles, Sailor Mars, more battles, Sailor Jupiter, more battles, Sailor Venus and Artemis. The plot revolves around the Negaverse's evil plan to destroy the world or something, and we encounter the extremely amusing Zoicite. If you don't know, Zoicite was a man in the Japanese version but was turned into a woman in the American version. The reason? Because he was gay with Malacite, and you can't put that on American TV (apparently). That still amuses me to this day. Anyway, turns out Serena/Usagi was the Moon Princess, Darrien/Mamoru was Prince Darrien/Mamoru of Earth, they were in love, the Moon Kingdom was destroyed by the Negaverse but Queen Serenity (Serena/Usagi's mum) saved everyone by sending them to Earth to be reborn centuries later. The Negaverse captures and brainwashes Darrien/Mamoru, making him evil. At some point the Sailor Scouts/Senshi go to the North Pole where all of them except Serena/Usagi die (though apparently not from exposure, as you would if you wore a miniskirt to the North Pole). Darrien/Mamoru dies, Serena/Usagi and Queen Beryl of the Negaverse battle it out, killing both Serena/Usagi and Queen Beryl. However, the power of the silver crystal causes Serena/Usagi, Darrien/Mamoru and all the other Scouts/Senshi to be reborn but without their memories, hence season 2.

Because it's from the early 1990's, the video quality isn't great and the characters are all pretty ancient-looking and have the worst fashion sense ever, but it's worth watching, if only as the 'original' Magical Girl anime.