gekoladie's avatar

• England
  • Joined Apr 12, 2011

Shiki

Apr 12, 2011

I absolutely loved this anime. It's not often that I come across a vampire anime in which I actually like the vampire characters as vampires and the human characters as humans, but in 'Shiki' I actually did. I thought the mythology surrounding vampires was interesting, especially with the relations to the story Seishin tells about Cain and Abel. In a lot of western vampire stories Cain and Abel-style stories are told, but this was one of the first I actually liked. I thought Natsuno struck the balance between whiney and stoic well, and I thought Toru's motivations as a vampire (or okiagari if you want to be technical) were well thought out. I absolutely loved the character of Megumi. Her character was much improved upon death; the malevolent and sadistic version was much more interesting.One thing I would possibly mark the story down on was the use of the child-vampire, which has been done so many times it's old. However, this was somewhat relieved by her relationship with Seishin, which was precarious and fascinating enough to hold my interest. About half of the way through when you realise that Natsuno has been bitten (and not only bitten, but rises from the grave) is where it really gets exciting because it isn't often that the hero dies. Another thing I would possibly mark the story down on was the ending. Although it was good and conclusive and tied up all the loose ends, I would have preferred it if the shiki had won and the village fell to the vampires, but that's probably because I'm morbid and I'm not always a fan of happy endings. I think the story would have been better if the villagers fell at the last bastion, Natsuno and Toru flee the village, the doctor was killed, and the final scene was of Toshio rising from his grave to join the ranks of the undead. That would have been absolutely perfect.

All in all, brilliant.

Mykorrhiza says...

Normally everything associated with the word "Horror" is a no-go for me ('cause I'm scared!). After reading your review I could not resist checking it out.. and I ended up finishing on one weekend. :s It was pretty amazing (in different kind of meanings..) but unfortunately sad (but still something good was in it, too. The part with Sunako and Seishin. :x).

Jan 30, 2012