galacticdude7's avatar

• Joined May 25, 2009

Barefoot Gen

May 23, 2010

-Story-

This is a very depressing story. It is a story about a boy who lived in Hiroshima in 1945, so we know from the lessons of history that this is not going to be a happy story. When the atomic bomb is dropped, Gen experiences the untimely deaths of his father and brother and sister, leaving him and his mother to try and survive the living hell that is post atom bomb Hiroshima. This is a very deep story, and it really makes one think. It makes one wonder "Why did the United States drop the atom bomb?" and "Was it really worth all the suffering that was caused by it?". Another thing that makes this a very deep story is that it shows all the graphic and gorey aftermath of the bomb and makes this a prime example of why nuclear weapons should not be used. The emotion that is portrayed in this film is very touching, and I even cried at some points in the story. But it also teaches a lesson that we can all learn from. It teaches us not to give up hope when everything around us is going to hell. If there is anything that I didn't like about the story was that there where a few parts that where slightly too predictable, but overall the story is quite touching.

-Animation-

This movie is very graphic and as a result small children should not watch it, but for the children that are old enough it really is a work of art, albeit very creepy. Some of the survivors of the bomb looked like zombies at first glance, and the scene of the impact of the bomb rushing through the city is very graphic but it is very detailed and very artistic.

-Characters-

The characters where lovable and they where easy to connect to if you put yourself in their shoes. They are all in great despair but they never lose faith that they can pull out of this tragedy. Gen is an excellent character that properly displays the determination and energy of the little boy he is when he is trying to help out his mother and his baby sister.

-Overall-

This is a movie that should be seen by anybody who has any interest in WWII whatsoever, for it provides a bit of the Japanese perspective of the atomic bomb dropping on Hiroshima.

7.5/10 animation
8.5/10 characters

Mantis says...

A great review. I think a lot more people need to educate themselves about the atomic bombings. As depressing as it is, this is a good place to start. I got quite far into this but didn't finish it at the time, so I'll have to do that soon.

A little off-topic and not anime I know, but you might want to check out a 1984 BBC drama called Threads. It explores the horror of a potential future nuclear attack.

Oct 24, 2011