galacticdude7's avatar

galacticdude7

• Michigan
  • Joined May 25, 2009

-Story-

The Melancoly of Haruhi-chan has no story for the simple reason that it does not need one to be good. This anime makes its impression by using humor and charm. I liked how the humor played itself out throughout ther series. The episodes don't seem to be in any particular order, but each episode is still highly entertaining. It does make a few references to the original Haruhi series, but with this being a spin-off and not a sequel, I didn't really expect there to be much. For the most part, this series was able to capture the essence of that we fell in love with when we watched The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya, or at least the last half of the series. Overall, I enjoyed this series

-Animation-

For the most part the animation had a cute and charming feel to it. The chibi look was great for this kind of anime, and it really set things up pretty well. It was annoying at times when they had the traditional style in the series, and it felt out of place.

-Characters-

Pretty much the same characters as we know in the original Haruhi, with a few exceptions. Yuki Nagato has become an otaku in this series, which I rather liked. Haruhi seemed to be a little like Konata Izumi of Lucky Star at times, which was mildly irritating. Koizumi becomes what seems to be a spoiled rich kid who can summon a maid and butler whenever he wants. That annoyed me a bit, but it was still ok. Overall, I still love the characters as much as I did in the original Haruhi series, and maybe even more.

-Overall-

If you are a Haurhi and Lucky Star fan, I would recommend this anime. It is sort of like the best of both worlds type thing, where you get the humor and non-sequitor-ness of Lucky Star with the light Sci-Fi things that occur in the series. I would recommend this anime highly.

7.5/10 animation