ergunnbaxter's avatar

• ? / M

Sword Art Online

Jul 21, 2013

SAO, Quick Review:

What can be said about another videogame anime? Normally, nothing new... However, SAO masterfully took something that seemed straight forward and spun a masterful story with it. This anime brought two others to mind imediately as I began to watch it. So if you are a fan of the .HACK// franchise or the Tower of Druaga series, you will find some similarities. However, Sword Art Online is an exciting story with great fantasy elements that remain believable throughout. It never gets boring and brings so much more to the table than just a story about another hack and slash MMORPG.

Part of the story is set "out of game," which adds even more interest, for me anyway. You will find that SAO develops its characters well, although rather quickly. It throws the viewer for a loop more than once.. the unpredictability of it was a great service for the viewer. There were many points where I was convinced that I knew what would happen next, and a severe twist would blow my theory to bits.

In short, watch this anime if: you love a believable fantasy story, if you like a little romance with your swordplay, and lastly, if you like to be surprised by the story at every turn.

You will definitely enjoy this if you liked Tower of Druaga... as this is similar but about a 1,000 times better.

(I will not go into any spoilers or anything as this is not the purpose of my reviews. My purpose is to compare and contrast some elements so that you can decide weather or not to give the anime being reviewed a try).