elske55's avatar

• Joined Nov 7, 2009
  • ? / ?

FLCL

Jun 5, 2010

WARNING: REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILER.

There was one thing I realized while watching this anime, you either love it, or you hate it.  I read no review that said it was ok.  I am one of the people who loves it.

FLCL stands for and means,  Furi Curi/Fooly Cooly (it can be spelled either way) and was not actually defined in this anime, but it is apparent that is some sort of sexual action.

Meet Naota Nandaba, he is a middle schooler with troubles up the wazoo, but it wasn't always that way.  He used to live a boring life, minding his own business, that was before he met Haruko Haruhara.  He first meets the character while he is walking home.  they meet when she hits him with her scooter then smashes him upside the head with her guitar.  He finds out later that she is moving in with him.  While all this is happening, he finds time to hang-out with his friend Mamini Samejima, who is a high school drop out and has a huge crush on him, and school.

FLCL is a very hard anime too put in to words.  There's a little bit of everything in it.  There is/are robots, guitars, crazy women, sexual activities, head monsters, and a yellow Vespa. Combining all of these factors makes this anime rather absurd.  It was very good though.

Another aspect of this anime that I loved was its deep symbolism.  In my opinion, too understand some FLCL's symbolism, you must watch through the series at least twice.  Even though if you think you understand everything, it would not be a waste of your time to watch it again because its only six episodes long and a fabulous anime.

I think the thing I liked the most about this anime was the music.  It always came in at just the right time, with just the right mood, and the songs were great.  "The Pillows" did a great job with this sound track.  If there one thing that everyone could agree on, if you liked the series or not, the music was great.  I think the music makes this anime what it is.

FLCL's genre is hard define, so here I go.  MIND-FUCK is the only word that comes to mind when I try to describe this anime, and I guess that's really all it is.  However, someone could argue that is also a sci-fi.  I feel that this anime fits genre well, the nonsense in the beginning starts to make sense towards the end, and some of this science type things that they do in FLCL are really quite interesting.  Just a quick example, in the first or second episode a robot appears out of Naota's head.

If there was one thing that I could change about this anime, I would make it longer.  I think they did a great job with the series, but I wish it was longer. Gainax did a great job getting "The Pillows" and making sure that everything was top-notch, but the series just wasn't long enough for me.  This series left me wanting more, and that was the only real problem I had with this anime.

If there was could ask, for all who decide to quit watching after the first couple of episode because they "don't like it".  Well should finish it, because you may like it better after you understand all of the symbolism they throw at you.  Plus, its only six episodes long, so even if you watch it all, its not the end of the world, and don't like it, it wasn't a complete waste of time.  There is only about two hours of watching to do in this series, so go ahead, finish it up.