elske55

Welcome to the NHK!

31 MAY
2010

Story Summary:  "Welcome to the NHK" is about a young man named Tatsuhiro ,or Satou for short, who is a 22 year old hikikomori and a college drop out.  The anime depicts about half of a year Satou's life.  This includes his friends and his epic journeys in and outside of his house. Satou believes that the NHK or  Nihon Hikikomori Kyōkai is making him a hikikomori.  This story starts as a comedy but then ends as a drama.

Characters: Satou protagonist in this story, he has been hikikomori for about 4 years, after dropping out of college, at the beginning of the story. He believes that the NHK is a giant organization plotting a huge conspiracy and that they turned him in to a hikikomori. During the story he meets a girl, Misaki, who wants to help him flee  from his hikkomori ways.  Satou has a huge crush on Misaki which makes for some very funny scenes throughout the anime.

Misaki is a mysterious girl who wants to help Satou with his hikkomori problem.  She lives on the top of a large hill which overlooks the apartment complex where Satou lives, where she watches him do his daily activities.  She knows everything about Satou, but he knows nothing about her.  As Satou has a crush on Misaki, Misaki has a crush on Satou.  With the two of them liking each other, this leads to some hilarious scenes.

Yamazaki is Satou's next door neighbor,  together he and Satou make a galge.  Yamazaki, like Satou, is also a college drop out.  During the story you find out that he enrolls in a college in Tokyo where he studies programing.  This his how he helps Satou in making a galge.  Yamazaki is a galge addict, in fact he actually cuddles with a blow up doll of a character from one of his galge.  The "sacred lands" for Yamazaki are galge shops.

Genre: "Welcome to the NHK" is a comedy, with the culture of otaku's  in it.  It is also very important psychological aspect to the story. However, this story starts a hilarious comedy and then quickly turns into a drama.

Overall: I thought this was a very good great anime.  I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars mainly because I thought it moved to fast and believed that GONZO should have lengthened  the action in one episode. (There were two different plots per episode.) So every episode was 24 min and had a longer plot or each episode was 12 min at the same speed.  Next I enjoyed the fact that it started out as a light hearted comedy, but then quickly evolves into a deep and emotional drama.  One thing I did not like about this anime was its selection in songs.  The music that went on, for the most part, didn't fit with what was happening in the anime.  The animations were ok for the year 2006, but some things could have been animated better.  The faces were one thing that I clued in on for this, they showed great emotions, but there were no greatly animated facial features every thing was just kinda boring.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

I would recommend this anime to anyone who enjoys comedies, symbolism, deep emotions all mixed together.  I would also recommend this to you if you like a good series, although it has it's draw backs I think that it has a little bit of everything so everybody should like at least one aspect of this show.  There is a little action, a little comedy, a little symbolism, and a little bit of everything else.  But, if you don't like PERVERTEDNESS DO NOT WATCH THIS ANIME.

In Japan, NHK is a public broadcaster where NHK stands for Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai.

Other Anime Reviews by elske55