eaper's avatar

• Joined Dec 3, 2009
  • 24 / ?

Fruits Basket

May 22, 2011

I had been putting Fruits Basket off for a while (not completely sure why), and I finally got around to it. I can definitely say that I enjoyed the off-beat humor, romantic tension and unique story driving the series. There was an extremely wide array of personalities portrayed throughout the series as well. Anywho, I shall get along with the actual review.

Story: 9/10

While much of the series, especially near the middle of the season, is mostly episodic, the individual episodes are well crafted, as is the story of the series as a whole. Almost all of the characters get a rather touching and apropriate backstory, even some of the more minor characters. The story as a whole does a good job of pulling the viewer in, waiting to meet the next family member and learn more about them (saying any more would likely be spoiling).

Animation: 7/10

As the series wears on, you can certainly see more, shall we call them, shortcuts being taken with the animation. Stick characters fights or racing, loops, etc. are the more obvious ones. However, even these are fairly well done with a strong comedic effect. The character designs seem to do a good job portraying the personality of the character as well.

Sound: 7/10

The voice actors in this series range from great to... annoying. Some big name seiyuues, such as the lead (Horie Yui) and another male lead of Yuki (Hisakawa Aya) and Kyo (Seki Tomakazu) do a great job. Unfortunately, Almost all of the non-leads, espiecially in the younger children in the series, tend to have annoying voices, even if they match the characters. More than one of the characters lack almost any emotion because of this. The OP and ED are decent, although not spectacular. The OST did a good job, but nothing great.

Characters: 9/10

This series does a great job developing a wide range of characters and giving them all very distinct personalities. Even some of the minor characters get some sympathy. The only short-coming, I think, is their attempt to develope the person who was the "villian" throughout the entire series in about half an episode. I still have no sympathy for him, despite his "terrible circumstances." Oh well.

jypsyjulia says...

Fantastic review!  You eloquently stated all the reasons that you liked and disliked the anime and I enjoyed your insight.

Jun 20, 2012
crypticdarkness says...

Have you seen the dub? also you need to elaborate more in your reviews. also make your paragraphs longer than three sentences long in the English language it's six sentences at least to a paragraph as a bare minimum. also you don't do an ellipsis then a period for furture referance.

Apr 17, 2012