eaper

Ergo Proxy

2 JAN
2011

In a time where philosophically deep yet still comprehensible series are becoming few and far between, Ergo Proxy offers a shot at fufilling a slightly more fufilling roll than most series. This, however, only lasts for about half to two thirds of the series. I believe there is a span of 5 or so episodesin the series in which I, personally, had no idea what was going on for at least the majority of the show. So much of the series went on without explanation, so much time was just skipped, that it went from a rather entertaining show to a failure. Before elaborating more on this, I'll go more into the specifics.

Story: I didn't give the indivual rankings to each part of the series because, as I said, the series started off very interesting before all the wheels fell off. The story, for the beginning of the series did a good job mixing action and mystery while somewhat making sense. It went on in a compelling manner until, well, shit hit the fan.

Animation: Similar to all parts of this review, I will say that, for the beginning of the series, the animation was great. The character designs were nice, flow was good, etc. etc. However, by the end of the series, many details were left out.

Sound: This is probably the only thing that kept consistant throughout the series. I rather enjoyed the OP and ED of this series although the soundtrack isn't anything spectacular in itself. The voice actors are appropriate and do a good job.

Characters: Once again, characters radically drop off. Some of the good characters become annoying, some of them aren't in it throughout the entire series, and, a lot of the characters, start acting out of... well... character/

This being said, the series had a good chance to be deep, interesting, profound, and a great mystery with awesome characters. However... all of it went to hell. I don't know if they ran out of stuff to work with and decided to never explain the random stuff they added, if they ran out of money, the director left, or something like that- but I wouldn't be surprised if you told me all three of these happened. Anyways, I probably wouldn't recommend this series unless you don't mind things not really being explained for only the latter half of a series. If that's what you like, then you're in luck.

Other Anime Reviews by eaper

Dog Days user review by eaper

Dog Days

Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season user review by eaper

Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season

overall score: 8.5/10

Yumekui Merry user review by eaper

Yumekui Merry