eaper

Yozakura Quartet

14 AUG
2010

I have a feeling that this show is one of those that could have been great... but just fell on it's face, making me very glad they are remaking it in the near future. Anyways, onto the review!

Story: Now here is a story that could be interesting. A town of yokai, lead in tandum by a young yokai mayor, a young human with the power to send yokai to "another dimension," a part yokai part human, and a council of 7 elders that are part of the pillars that make it so the yokai can stay in this town. The yokai and human work together to send back "rampaging" yokai to the other dimension.

The story is about a friend of the the mayor and the human whose body has been taken over, and is attempting to destroy the pillars that make the yokai town able to function (which would also bring back all the yokai sent to the other dimension by the aforementioned human). This villan/friend with the body taken over is also a brother of another one of the main characters. Clear as mud? Good. In my opinion, had it been told without unannounced flashbacks, and in a clearer way (without leaving quite a few things unanswered....) this could have been a great story, but, as you probably gathered from the overview.... it is poorly told. That being said... 4.5/10 for interesting elements being thrown at random...

Animation: For an action anime, there are some.... rough movements here and there, which knocks it down considerably. The character designs themselves are, in my opinion, all nice. however (although a few remind me of other series, I think most of the other series come around later), and all the characters stand out from one another. I also enjoyed all the eye catches that were probably straight from the manga before and after commercials. That being said, I would give it a 6.5/10

Sound: The OP and ED, along with all the OST were quite great, I think they did a good job using songs from bands instead of the usual orchestral type songs when needed. They also brought in some great voice actors, and I think even the no-names did a good job. This gets it 8/10.

Characters: Several of the character were well developed (Although the one I wanted more developed didn't get too much=\) with interesting powers and uses for them, making them all stand out quite well. I think all their actions were well conceived, leaving little doubt that the character would actually act that way. 8/10

Overall, like I have said, I was disappointed with the way the story was laid out (and very glad they're remaking it). That is the main flaw in this series... although it is a rather large one to overcome. Final verdict: 6.5/10

Other Anime Reviews by eaper

Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season user review by eaper

Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season

overall score: 8.5/10

Dog Days user review by eaper

Dog Days

Ergo Proxy user review by eaper

Ergo Proxy