duchessliz

One Piece

BASED ON WATCHING 652 OF 652 EPS
22 MAY
2012

The story of the entire anime centers around a young man named Monkey D. Luffy who dreams of one day becoming the Pirate King, something he boasted about ten years before to the pirate captain Shanks who in turn gave Luffy his favorite straw hat and told him to return it some day when he became a great pirate. Luffy sets out to achieve his dream with literally nothing but the clothes on his back and, of course, his straw hat, but along the way he collects his nakama (his crewmates and friends) and a ship and sets sail determined to become the Pirate King. Each of Luffy's nakama have their own dreams and own goals but all of them are determined to do what they can to help Luffy accomplish his dream.

The arcs only get better as the anime progresses. Admittedly One Piece doesn't really pick up until Luffy and his nakama reach the Grand Line which is around episode 63 or so (to conquer the Grand Line and find the treasure One Piece, which is on the final island, is what it takes to become the Pirate King) once you hit the Alabasta arc though, things quickly pick up.

The arcs are, for the most part, absolutely wonderful. My favorite arcs to date are the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc and the Whitebeard War arc.  I am also eagerly awaiting the next episode and all of the future arcs that are to come. I sincerely hope this anime continues for several more years (another ten years or so and I'd be satisfied xD).

Animation:

I gave the animation a 7, because although the animation right now would be about an 8 or 9 we're talking overall animation, and the earlier episodes were poorly drawn and looked more like a cartoon than anime. Over the last few years though, the animation has drastically improved and I am quite satisfied with it.

Sound:

Like any long running anime there are always opening and closing songs that we like and that we dislike and for me it was no different. As for the voice acting. . .the voice acting is superbly done with very few exceptions (there were, of course, some side characters that I didn't think their voices suited but I had no problem with any of the main characters).

One Piece is a very character oriented anime which is something I love. I hate anime with amazing storylines but no real depth to the characters. In One Piece's case they have good storylines with AMAZING characters. Luffy's Straw Hat Pirate crew is a very diverse group with their own personalities which keep us highly entertained. As of the current episodes the Straw Hats consist of a slighly naive/always hungry/great fighting/big hearted captain, an always napping/ill tempered swordsman with a horrible sense of direction, a sneaky gold seeking/map making/ navagator who doesnt take crap from anyone, a somewhat cowardly/ slightly naive sharpshooter/inventor, a lethal kicking/ lady loving / perverted/some-what ill tempered chef, a childish/slighly naive/easily duped/ big hearted doctor who loves being complimented but tries to act as if he doesn't, a quiet/calm archiologist who loves to make morbid comments and secretly loves the scary/creepy adventures that Luffy always sets off after, a soft hearted/loud/slightly perverted cyborg shipwright/inventor, and an undead/perverted skeleton of a musician. And those are just the main characters, there are also a lot of re-occuring characters who are just as interesting. Like I said. . .the characters ARE the anime.

Overall:

I was very skeptical when I first started One Piece and really didnt think that I would like it. In the end though One Piece has become my favorite anime and I would recommend it to anyone with  a lot of time on their hands. I say this because once it picks up and you get hooked, you wont be able to stop watching. . .its almost like an addiction lol.

Other Anime Reviews by duchessliz

Toward the Terra TV user review by duchessliz

Toward the Terra TV

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! user review by duchessliz

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!

overall score: 7.8/10

Natsume Yuujinchou user review by duchessliz

Natsume Yuujinchou

overall score: 9.5/10

• Overall 8.5/10

comments

JtkBasketball avatar JtkBasketball
Sep 5, 2012

I will have to side with duchessliz. I love One Piece and am biased towards the show, but those two examples of pictures do not prove much. Arlong had many prominent figures in his crew, whereas Hody has a bunch of nobodies. Furthering my point, Fishman Island as a whole is crazy detailed.

Along with that, I liked Marineford way more than Arabasta, and I felt that the East Blue dragged on at times.

I think this review was incredibly well thought out, formatted, and written. I cannot not give this show a full ten strictly because I have fallen in love with the characters.

Also Rorican fan, I have only been on this site for a few days now, and every anime I like or have looked through seems to have a review by you. Every review I have read that was written by you seems so negative. You are so hard on such great and popular animes. If I went only by your reviews of animes, I think I would never watch them. You make eating my own poop seem more appealing.

That's just my opinion.

duchessliz avatar duchessliz
May 25, 2012

'help me realize' omg ur a dick. . .seriously. EVERY freakin' person out there has their own opinion and they are all different. Just because you believe one thing does not mean that everyone is going to agree with u. accept it and move on. stop making snide little comments that tick people off. i dont mind u saying u disagree with my review, that doesnt bother me. but when u go out of ur way to try and sway me to ur way of thinking and dont freakin' show some damn respect all u do is piss me off. i made my review for people with taste. something u r clearly lacking. if u dont enjoy the anime that dont watch it, but dont be a dick about it.

roriconfan avatar roriconfan
May 25, 2012

Sorry for trying to help you realize some things. So I guess to you those images are lies huh? Ok, forget it, let others who may comment say anything they like like it doesn't matter too.

duchessliz avatar duchessliz
May 25, 2012

omg r u freakin' seriously debating with me over my opinion? seriously get a life. i already told u that this is my review based on my opinion and no matter what u say im not gonna change my mind so stop trying to change my opinion its sooo not going to happen. u dont see me commenting on all of ur reviews that i disagree with because seriously i disagree with MOST of ur scorings. like i said a review is the reviewers opinion and although u have a right to ur opinion u do NOT have the right to try to change mine. so back off.

roriconfan avatar roriconfan
May 25, 2012

Ok then, here is an example

Arlong arc: http://images.wikia.com/onepiece/images/9/99/Arlong_Past.png

Fishman island arc: http://images.wikia.com/onepiece/images/7/7a/Hody_Decken.png

The difference in detail is clear

As for the arcs getting better, East Blue was ten times more interesting than Thriller Bark. Or the war in Arabasta ten times more exciting than the Marineford.