default avatar

• Joined Dec 13, 2011
  • ? / ?

Trinity Blood

May 23, 2012

My opinion of this work was fairly neutral to begin with. However, after a year or so since watching it, I strangely found myself wanting to see this one again. And so I did!

This is strange. The story and conceit, despite being fairly well thought out and quite complex, is nothing that has us gripping our seats, nor is it particularly unique. The characters have their charms, but then again, don't have the kind of magnetism that make them exceptionally memorable - with the exception of Abel Nightroad, I remembered none of them until I saw them again.

What makes this work satisfying, I think, is a great sense of balance. Sure, a lot of the elements aren't fantastically original, but they're not gratuitously exploited for their sales/fan value like in other works. The characters aren't needlessly charicatured. For example, when Abel lets Noelle down, he doesn't trip over, say something stupid, or faint. There's a natural sense of unease which is fitting to this character.

This is the kind of anime you could potentially recommend to a causal viewer who's seen most of the major works once or twice, without worrying about it being too excessive, manic or complex. It really highlights a formula that works when executed correctly in a balanced manner, credit to GONZO for a solid piece of work.