diogork's avatar

• Porto, Portugal
  • Joined Jul 6, 2010

Gunslinger Girl

Dec 23, 2012

Gunslinger Girl, I don't know how to begin describing how much i loved this anime.

The first impression I had of GG was actually very bad, but it was probabily due to the fact I started watching one night after 2 a.m. and I was really tired and decided not to watch. But when I was recomended for the secret santa I decided to give another shot and watch it more carefully. It was probabily one of the best decisions I made of my anime history ^^

I fell in love right from the intro music :P
For me it set the entire pace of the anime. Calm, nostalgic, filled with love and a bit of sadness, and it was marvelous.

The thing about GG is that the story in itself isn't that great. We have an organisation that transforms little girls, with usually some kind of health problem, into cyborgs and brainwashes them so that their memories are destroyed. Then they have a brother figure from the government that teaches them how to be assassins and fight terrorrist groups. Actually it has no real story, just a background reference for the characters.

So, why do i loved this so much? It's all about the characters! We have some little girls that are brainwashed into having to protect their "brothers" and thay live almost only for them. And these brothers live only to teach and use (yes use, because cyborgs are replaceable) them for the government's dirty work. But in spite of such horrible background we musn't forgget that the cyborgs are still part human, and have personalities, and can feel. And they will develop other feelings. Pure inoccent feelings of frindship and love because, in spite of all, they are still children.

It is this contrast between the violence and mercyless killing, and the pure feelings torwards their "brothers" that these girls have, and the reason why they kill just to make their "brothers" like them a bit more is what makes GG so interesting to watch. And the way that these girls are aware that thay are cyborgs, and can never end with ther loved one but still do everything they can for them, is what makes one the most pleasurable animes I have ever watched.

The only reason I don't give 10/10 ratting is the lack of story...

So 8/10!

As for the animation and sound.

The animation is very good, with some realistic features to make the characters grow in you, so it fits really well with the whole anime. But it is different from what i was used to so, it took a bit to adjust. But, still very good animation.

The sound is just perfect. Lot's of classical musical that goes straight for the feelings, and acompanies perfectly with every cenario. If it's perfect, there nothing more to say about it :P

Highly recommendable!

And thanks to my secret santa for giving me this recommendation ;)