daysie1234's avatar

daysie1234

• Joined Feb 5, 2011

Earl and Fairy

Sep 18, 2011

I just had a marathon of this anime, I could not put it down. As a huge shojo/romance buff, I felt that this series had everything that I was looking for, my only regret was that it ended "unfinished" so to speak. Since it's been three years since it ended, it probably will not be getting a sequel, which is a shame. I enjoyed this show. If you dig shojo, you will love it. If you don't, you won't. Even while watching it, I was thinking "geez, there's a lot of romance scenes (love triangles like crazy), but for people who don't like romance (or prefer action/adventure scenes), no wonder they thought this series was boring"

I thought the story was original, the setting was Scotland/England which gave the viewer a sense of location and an instant understanding of the costumes and linguistic uniqueness of the time period.  The story follows a girl who can see fairies and talk to her cat. This gift is very rare, and because of that, she is sortof an outcast and labeled as strange. But along comes Prince Charming who needs her gift to become an Earl, and rise from being labeled a slave. Afterwards follows his journey to gain acceptance and protect his people (which would be more interesting if it had a sequel). My only complaint was that the story felt a little disconnected between plotlines.

Animation:

The animation is not bad, but it was not the best I've seen. However, I think the bland colors in many scenes gave it a rustic feel, which is what the setting is based on. I don't think it's something that would turn anyone away who was interested in the story.

Sound:

The opening is pretty catchy, I don't really have a comment for the rest of the sound, mainly because I don't remember it. This is both a good and a bad thing, it means the sound wasn't annoying, but it wasn't memorable either.

I absolutely love the main characters for this show. Edgar is clever, sneaky, and a total hottie. Lydia is adorable in that she's your typical shojo girl - unbelievably kind and quirky. Lydia and Edgar have excellent chemistry, he needs her, and she always saves him when he's in a tight spot. Raven's fight scenes were pretty epic. Edgar has a backstory of being a noble, being bred to be the Prince of Misfortune, being a slave and then finally the Blue Knight Earl. This is a lot for one character, and while it is talked about, there are no flash backs to his time as a slave, only as a young boy before he became a slave. Lydia, likewise, doesn't really have a backstory other than her mother passed away when she was young and that boys played romantic-pranks on her when she was growing up, creating an intense distrust of men with romantic intentions.

Overall:

If you love shojo, it's definitely something to watch. If you're more of a shounen-buff, you'll want to skip it.