darczon69

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira

25 JUL
2011

WARNING! This review CONTAINS a small storyline spoiler.

I was more than happy when I first found out that Kira will be aired starting this summer. As I pranced around while imagining the sweet sound of Rena chopping away at someone, I heard a small voice in my head saying something like this: "Glad you're happy mate, but do you remember Rei?

Then my world came crashing down and while I trembled in horror at the thought of another moe-fest, I slowly and carefully began watching the newest installment of the Higurashi series.

I'm gonna be honest. I enjoyed the first episode, but that wasn't Higurashi; and, although Keiichi's hallucinations were extremely....should I say....vivid :D, there wasn't a single speck of storyline in the whole episode. At least Rei tried to have something resembling a story but, so far, Kira is nothing more than a moe-fest, a good and beautiful moe-fest, due to the quality of the animation, but if you're looking for killer lolis I'd suggest rewatching the main series.

The only reason why you should watch this OVA is for pure fanservice and for the sake of completion.

SPOILER ALERT!

Nonetheless, let's be honest: who wouldn't want a maid Rena feeding you or an all-you-can-eat Mion & Shion buffet? :D I know I would :D

Other Anime Reviews by darczon69

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira user review by darczon69

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira

Clannad After Story user review by darczon69

Clannad After Story

comments

hoffstyle avatar hoffstyle
Sep 1, 2011

Looking at the scenes from the 2nd episode, this one actually looks fun. I was on the fence when this one started, but it entertained me by flipping the tone of the series on it's head yet regaining it's creepiness towards the end. I  am liking it.

darczon69 avatar darczon69
Aug 4, 2011

Let's call it a hunch...actually, let's call it a hopefull thought: based on previous OVAs, the first episode is a fan-service one (Rei's first episode is one such fan service episode), so I'm hoping the actualy storyline starts with the second episode of Kira.

If not, and this first episode is actually important to the overall story of Kira, I would be extremely disappointed. I enjoy fan service as much as the next guy, but I loathe to such a good series destroyed by it.

Status avatar Status
Aug 4, 2011

How do you know it doesn't have anything to do with the story though?

I would agree if it was the OVA's ended there but it doesn't?

darczon69 avatar darczon69
Jul 25, 2011

True enough, I missed that innocent smile, right before she jabs a butcher's knife up my....

SadisticTendencies avatar SadisticTendencies
Jul 25, 2011

Great review, but it would be much more awesome if Rena tried to kill me rather than feeding me; that way I'd have something to brag about to my friends!

I personally hated episode 1, the only thing I liked about it was that I finally got to hear Rika's "Nipaaa" again^^