darczon69

Clannad Movie

7 JUN
2011

This review does NOT contain any storyline spoilers.

I will state from the beginning. I. hated. this. movie. I felt like I have lost something extremely precious to me after I watched this movie. Then I figured out: besides the 2 hours of my life wasted, I lost Clannad.

Confused? Carry on reading.

This movie took the masterpiece of character development and fantastic love story that is Clannad, beat it down with a tire iron, ran it over, beat it some more, then threw it off the bridge with a block of cement.

This is no Clannad. Although I know that movies are not supposed to follow the TV series to the letter (else you wind up with a big recap episode), but Clannad - The Motion Picture just used the names from Clannad, made up a half-arsed story and spat it out. You can't compress such a long and twisted story in only two hours. It's impossible and the result is clear. It's kinda like you want reduce The Lord of the Rings Trilogy into a 10 pages book: you'll wind up with the  summary of the summary of watered watered down version of it.

Sure, I have nothing against the animation or sound. They're both on par with the TV series. But Clannad is all about story and characters.

If you watched the anime series and want to watch this s**t, don't. Just...don't. You'll thank me later.

If you think you don't have the time to watch the original Clannad and go for this s**t, I beg of you to reconsider. You'll thank me later.

Other Anime Reviews by darczon69

Elfen Lied: In the Passing Rain

Clannad After Story user review by darczon69

Clannad After Story

• Overall 0.5/10

comments

greyweather avatar greyweather
Feb 18, 2012

I wish I had seen this review earlier.  I just finished inflicting this movie upon myself and I really wish I hadn't.  It is every bit as bad as you said, and I have the sinking feeling that this is going to damage my experience watching After Story.

Thankfully I watched the first TV series before the movie.  If I had watched the movie first, I probably would have written the brand off entirely.

Anyone looking at this review, listen to darczon69.  This movie is not just bad in its own right, it will damage your abilty to enjoy the TV shows.