default avatar

• Joined Jul 15, 2010
  • 17 / ?

Naruto

Jul 15, 2010

Naruto is a hit or miss show. You love it, or you hate it. I mean, how many times have you heard from Narutards calling it "the best anime ever"? How many times have you heard from Naruto haters calling it "the worst anime ever"? Both have ruined the Naruto fan base, so now no one pays attention to Naruto anymore. I hope this review will get at least one person to try Naruto, even if it turns out they don't like it.

The story is basically about the main protagonist, Naruto Uzumaki, and his journey on becoming the greatest ninja in the Hidden Leaf Village. No one believes that Naruto can do this, seeing how this is because Naruto is a hooligan due to the loss of his parents at a young age, and how no one is friends with him because Naruto has a kyuubi, or demon fox, sealed inside of him that attacked the Hidden Leaf Village. Naruto isn't officially a ninja yet, so he takes the ninja test. He fails the test by his teacher, Iruka. Later, the other teacher in charge of the Ninja Academy, Mizuki, tells Naruto he can pass the test if he can get the ninja scroll, which is actually a scroll with every ninja jutsu known to man. Mizuki is actually taking the advantage of Naruto to take the scroll and destroy the Hidden Leaf Village. Iruka hears about this, and challenges Mizuki in combat, but is unable to win. Naruto then challenges Mizuki to combat after Iruka loses, even though Mizuki has the advantage, Naruto defeats Mizuki because he studied a technique in the scroll. Naruto is now able to not only clone himself with the jutsu, but able to clone about 100 of himself. Iruka then passes Naruto as a ninja, and is put in squads with Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha, and Kakashi Hatake, the team leader who is the second closest ninja in the whole series. After Naruto is put in squads, the series moves on to arcs, the Zabuza arc, the Chunin Exam arc (which basically every character in the Naruto series is introduced), the Orochimaru arc, the Jiraiya arc, and the Tsunade arc. All those arcs last up to episode 100. Even though Naruto has a basic story, each episode has it's own story to it, making each episode unique in it's own way. I therefore like Naruto's story because of this, which makes episode to episode enjoyable.

The art from Naruto isn't superb, but this probably because the anime was made in 2002. But this is an excuse, because the anime Fruits Basket was made a year before Naruto, and had superb art. The art looks basic, like One Piece and Bleach's art style. Naruto is a ninja anime, but if you couldn't tell already, none of the characters in Naruto look like ninjas. I mean, orange jumpsuits? Have you ever seen a ninja in an orange jumpsuit? Basically none of the characters wear black and cover their face with a mask, except for Kakashi, but that's his personal preference, not because the creator wanted one character to look like a ninja. Even though the art improved throughout the series, the animation still had plainness to it, so therefore I can't give the animation a great score.

The soundtrack that waws in Naruto was pretty good, and it fits in parts where it needed to be. A lot of people don't really enjoy the soundtrack, but I think the composers did a great job on the upbeat themes for combat and sad music for dramatic moments. And the voice acting was good for each character in both dubbed and subbed versions. Naruto has an arrogant whiny voice, Sakura has a self-sufficient bitchy voice, Sasuke has an assholish angry voice, and Kakashi has a leader-type of voice. I would go more on to voice acting of other characters, but there are too many characters to list.

Now on to the characters. There are a lot of good characters in Naruto, but some characters ruin great parts of the show. Naruto is a great main protagonist, who won't stop until he gets what he wants. Kakashi is a great leader, and always puts others before himself. Both Hinata and Neji Hyuuga are great characters for being strongly developed with the story line and courageous, and Tenten for being the closest of a ninja in the anime. Now some of the characters I don't really like. Sakura is bitchy and whiny, all she does is "ADORE" Sasuke, and is a useless ninja. Ino Yamanaka, because she is the most useless character in almost any anime, and Shikamaru Nara, for being boring. Therefore the characters I didn't like didn't necessarily ruin the series, but it sure didn't improve it.

I'm just going to say it, Naruto is one of my favorite animes, and almost my favorite anime series. Even though I didn't give everything a perfect score, there is one thing I can give a 10- enjoyment. I enjoyed almost every single bit of Naruto, all the way to episode 220. Naruto might not be perfect, but to me it was perfect enjoyment.