charvisioku's avatar

charvisioku

• Manchester, UK
  • Joined Nov 11, 2012

There wasn't that much story to this anime; to sum it up without spoilers, Nagi, Tsugumi and Hayate are involved in a conflict over a pocket-watch called the Black Camellia, which has magical properties. To tell you any more would be to risk giving out a lot of spoilers.

Before I go any further I have to stress that I haven't watched any Hayate the Combat Butler before this, and I gathered that it's better to have some context before watching Can't Take My Eyes Off You. However, I still enjoyed this series - it was very mediocre but there was a lot of comedy, a bit of romance and a small amount of action at the end, so it wrapped up quite nicely.

The story isn't all that original, but I feel that it was executed quite well despite that, and I will most likely be watching the previous series of Hayate as I'm interested in the back-story of the characters.

It was quite hit and miss; the character designs are almost like the anime characters drawn by somebody who's just starting out and hasn't practised much yet. They all look essentially the same, with variations on their colour schemes. In fact, I sometimes found it quite hard to remember which was which.

The actual animation was very smooth and I can't find much to fault in that respect. Lip-sync was good, emotions were shown fairly well.. all in all it was animated well.

Voice-acting in Can't Take My Eyes Off You was certainly not my cup of tea. I found the female voices to be very whiny and irritating, and I had to turn it down a few times because I didn't want to irritate people in the house with it.

However, the music was very good, and I especially liked the songs by Ruka. A lot of the music helped to set an atmosphere, and there's not much I would change about that side of things.

Forgettable. Nagi was cute but quite irritating and very spoiled. Marie was your average anime maid... humble, patient and generally gentle-natured. Hayate was just a butler who happened to be able to kick ass if Nagi was ever in trouble - other than that he had no features that made him stand out. There was a group of girls who were all pretty much carbon copies of each other.

The only character I liked was Tsugumi, and even then it was only because she was the only character I found to have any kind of spirit. Very under-developed, boring characters. However, I acknowledge that this may be to do with the fact I haven't seen the previous series.

I did like the relationship between Hayate and Nagi, though. Very cute - he was like a big brother to her, and it was sweet to watch her slowly realise how much she needed and appreciated him being around.

TL;DR

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You is a fairly fast-paced comedy. It doesn't offer anything particularly original but I would recommend it if you like cutesy characters and are looking for something light-hearted and easy to watch. It's only 12 episodes long so I would say it's worth a try.

Reccs

charvisioku says...

Okay I'll definitely give them a watch then! Thanks :3

Apr 1, 2013
0Marcandre says...

I agree with you on this review, but if you thought this anime was decent i would highly recommend that you watch the first seasons they are so much better and you get attached to the characters. (: Over all great review!

Mar 31, 2013