chaoserver

5 Centimeters per Second

24 FEB
2010

I didn't know what to expect from 5 cm per second. From the trailer I knew that I was about to be blown away by the animation, and get treated to a love story. To what end I had no idea, but here on the other side, I am somewhat glad I decided to sit down with the film.

The story begins as a basic enough love story, but certainly gives us details on the two as the story unfolds. It is divided into three parts, the first two of which I thought were done quite well. They are certainly slow, and if you are looking for any kind of gunslinging action you will be sorely dissapointed. For a romance it sure does a good job of leaving out much excessive mush, while focusing on rather the situation surrounding the primary characters. As the episodes progress new characters are introduced that mix things up, and we explore a fairly realistic story unfolding.

My only issues with the story is the third episode which does two things affecting my story and character scores. The first is being hasty and sloppy, only half of it doing much to add to the story. The second, is the addition of a character, who does so little to the story she might as well not have been added.

A complaint I could see someone having is a bit of confusion regarding the time skips, though it was not that hard to follow in my opinion.

And wow! The animation! Sure it is not flaunted in over the top battles, but rather emphasized typical activities does just fine and keeps your attention regardless of the pace. Easily the best I have seen thus far, though I haven't yet delved into the more graphically esteemed animes yet. Even if the plot doesn't tickle your fancy it's hard to feel like any time is wasted after looking at this!

Overall the characters are alright, and the story develops in a slow, realistic feeling pace, and at no point is overbearing with it's romance, or it's sad moments. I really thing this is the best exclusively love movie I have seen, though that says very little given what plagues the genre.

5/10

Other Anime Reviews by chaoserver

The Place Promised In Our Early Days user review by chaoserver

The Place Promised In Our Early Days

overall score: 4.5/10

Le Chevalier D'Eon user review by chaoserver

Le Chevalier D'Eon

Boogiepop Phantom user review by chaoserver

Boogiepop Phantom

overall score: 3.5/10

Recent Anime Reviews by chaoserver

comments

Proman249 avatar Proman249
Jan 9, 2012

FINALLY! someone who gives it 5/10 i hated that damn movie am like yay! third part there going to meet up and get married then BAM! he ends up with a shitty life and she has a good one so fuck you japense people for not going with the sterotype ,,l,,