bvincent's avatar

bvincent

• Adrift in Blighty
  • Joined Oct 12, 2007

Sekirei is a dumb show, like really dumb. I'll preface this by saying I don't really like harem shows very much. But for my own personal anime watching they can hold a purpose. The fact they are so mindless and dumb is why i watch them because after a more serious show sometimes I need dumb and eye candy. Something to switch the brain off too and laugh once awhile. While Sekirei provided this for me.

While I didn't like the first season of Sekirei very much (It seemed even more shallow than most Harem's) the second season was much more enjoyable. If only for the fact that it contained way more Tsukiumi. Without her i'm not sure I would have liked this show even half as much as I did. Admittedly though its the English dub where that enjoyment mostly stems from, Her use of Olde English made laugh far more than it should. She literally made me laugh out loud.

But I need to address something here and that is that its not the endless Fan Service and Average plot that makes this show subpar. It's actually our protaginist Minato himself. He is such an empty shell of a character. There is literally nothing interesting about him at all. Any personality he does have is just cliche ridden statements about justice and the like. He is in fact the worst character in the entire show. Because there is nothing to him. He's like a faceless pillar for the series to hang its trappings on, completely devoid of character and purpose. He could actually not be there at all and little to the plot would have to change frankly. Thats how worthless he is.

So the illogical flocking of yet more Sekirei's to hapless Minato's Harem continues and is ,as in all Harem shows, baffling. The two ladies are both good characters for the most part and both equal measure bring more laughs and drama to the series. So i will let it pass.

The second season does finally get further into the meat of its plot this time around , or at least it kinda does. I couldn't help feeling that this season is beginning to face the main point of its plot its still none the closer to bringing in the real tension I presume it'll inevitably get to at somepoint, That being the inner Harem Battles. Although after this season I'm fearing it might skip that altogether for a big harem love in and a happily ever after. I haven't read the manga so I'm not sure. I just hope it doesn't go down that route as it would feel like a total cop out.

Sekirei also fails on occasion at trying to be more than the sum of its parts and act serious. This is always dragged down by the fact that no matter how serious the moment is, its always being portrayed by Minato and his Boob Crew. Losing all plausiblity for me to take it seriously in an instant. This causes problems as it means Sekirei has little drama. In fact its normally before a Sekirei joins the cliche riddled Minato and his Harem where the droplets of drama the series does have can be found. Although they aren't exactly much to savor but they are there regardless.

So yeah In the end Its dumb and shallow but as the credits rolled i couldnt help feeling i had had Fun. Which is what I wanted from the show and it delivered it.

So If Fan Service is your thing then you should watch this. Theres more Boobs than you can shake a stick at so to speak. If you are like me and need to switch your brain and emotions off then I'd recommend Sekirei's second season for this too. It is what it is, accept it and you might find some value and fun to be had, maybe...

5/10 'Mediocre'