bentobox's avatar

• Florida
  • Joined Dec 14, 2008

Usagi Drop

Sep 16, 2011

Usagi Drop is a delightful story about making the best of a not-so-great situation.  Rin is the illegitimate daughter of a man old enough to be her great grandfather.  It is not until after he has passed away that her father's family learns of her existance.  Not even old enough to attend school and without a mother, Rin appears to be on the verge of abandonment.  No one from her father's family wants to take her.  Disgusted with his own family's selfish behavior, Daikichi, Rin's father's grandson decides to take care of Rin.  Daikichi is a 30-year-old, unmarried male who works a hectic sales job.  The story takes off as Daikichi discovers the world of parenting without even being a parent himself.

This show became a dear friend of mine for the 11 weeks it aired.  During the time that I was watching this series, my life was very hectic and stressful.  At the end of each week, I looked forward to watching this show because it always made me smile - even when everything else was driving me insane.  It's peaceful pace and serene atmospheres seemed to put me at ease.  The characters are all believable and relateable.  The gentle humor it provided was most welcome.  The story was surprisingly touching and captivated me within the first episode.

I don't particularly like children and am not at a point in my life where I would want one.  I don't even like stories about children for the most part.  However, this series made me feel like, even if I did have one right now, that it wouldn't be bad at all.

There's not really too much else to say about it.  There are several plot twists, moments where you'll cry because you're happy and others because you can feel your heart breaking.  For something sweet, delicate, and memorable, check this out.  It doesn't disappoint.