aritentd's avatar

• Czech Republic
  • Joined Apr 26, 2008

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage

After seeing Black Lagoon I was pretty much sure what to expect of this and it delivered all the crazy gunfights and recklessness I could ask for. And it did so with a bit more finesse than the first part.

Those looking for a depth and intelligence are surely to be disappointed, but when you just regard Black Lagoon as a mindless fun ride, it works. It has its highs and lows, but all in all it is pretty consistent. If you enjoy the first ep, go on. Otherwise don't even bother.

Visuals are good thanks to the great colorful style and it has a few awesome nostalgic tunes. It is not pushing any boundaries on either side, still it is making pretty good use of what it has. The only problem I had was the voice acting in the last part. If you decide to let the cast speak English, let them learn it first. I know it was to emphasise Rock being a translator, but it really sounded bad. Moreover it really felt inconsistent, English-Japanese-English-Japanese...That is not the way to do it.

To sum it up, if all you are looking for is a bit of violence served in a stylish way, Black Lagoon definitely does it right. Hop on board and enjoy the ride.