aritentd

GANTZ

4 OCT
2009

Gantz

This really should have worked. It had the perfect setting for a gore/violence anime. Unfortunately not every labyrinth has a way out and Gantz got lost.

The story, although being just below average, did a decent job of creating a background for the action. It had some good points, where I got kinda attached to some of the cast, but not to the extent of what Elfen Lied did.

Unfortunately the action that should have followed the story went missing. Fighting sequences in Gantz are like watching a turn-based strategy. Or two amateurs playing a chess game, both taking their time just because they are supposed to, not coming up with anything at all. The other major issue I had with the action in Gantz are those inconsistent enemies. There are moments when they are incredibly strong and then for no apparent reason they are hopelessly weak.

Visuals are average, lacking some variety here and there, but it is enough for some aww gory moments. On the other hand, I wasn't especially sympathizing with those characters, maybe because they were already dead?

I started Gantz seeing all the recommendations from Elfen Lied, Berserk and Claymore and I was a bit disappointed. I just think Gantz didn't achieve what it has set out to do. I like the op though. ;)

Other Anime Reviews by aritentd

Kiki's Delivery Service user review by aritentd

Kiki's Delivery Service

Trigun user review by aritentd

Trigun

Cat Soup user review by aritentd

Cat Soup

• Story N/A
  • Animation N/A
  • Sound N/A
  • Characters N/A

comments

Lovamey avatar Lovamey
Nov 28, 2010

I agree with your review, Gantz had weak characters, a weak plot and story.

I thought the originally idea behind transporting random people to kill aliens was interesting enough, but it went no where.

I thought the main character was interesting in the first episode, but there was no further development done on him.

Basically a pointless show. Violence check, Sexual content check, Aliens Check, Boredom Checkmate...

Xavith avatar Xavith
May 21, 2010

Currently watching it now, and I kind of have to say, I don't really like it. Just seem like senseless gore, silly disgusting looking enemies, and weak characters. So far it's way overrated imo.

shaggun avatar shaggun
Nov 12, 2009

Good review! I think Gantz is one of several overrated animes, gore and randon sex acted like fan service for a pointless story