angelsreviews

Hellsing

6 AUG
2013

I fell in love with this story, and I guess it might be because I read only one of the manga. The show sadly is not about Alucard though I would have loved it even more if it was. The story follows Seras Victoria who in my mind is only there because the watcher needs some details that need to be explained to her and it's just a way to introduce us into the Hellsing world. I feel we take way to much time though on watching her deal with being turned into a vampire and not enough of the action. How the sequel, Hellsing Ultimate, looks like it has more story even though it was created by three or four different studios’ is beyond my comprehension but I believe it has something to do with Gonzo... (Several rants about Gonzo)

Going back to the story, I love the interaction between Integra and Alucard but they seem so small and not a lot for something that should be all about them. I feel that Alucard loves to pick on Integra as much as possible and keeps bringing up being turned into a vampire just to string her along and to get back at her Grandfather who sealed him away. We never actually get the information in this show and it took me going out of my way and looking it up to actually know but yes, Alucard is Dracula and not the son of Dracula like the Castlevania story lines. For a while, I thought it was the son of because I could never see Dracula staying with the family no matter what but… he does.

Now the story line revolves around strange chips in the body that turn people vampires… wait a minute… where was this in the manga?! I read at least the first book and have heard many people like Arkada talk about these and I have heard nothing about the chips being part of the story. There is also a character that doesn’t show up in the manga and they never talk about him much. So when I wanted to know more about this guy… I found pretty much nothing. I looked on Wikipedia and a few other sites and found nothing about him except that he was supposedly the person that the chips were made from… question mark.
The animation… well this is studio Gonzo so lets just say its half par. Some of the battles are done alright though much of it is done with speed lines, still shots of shooting, and sometimes a little shadow play. I know I love this show but let’s face it, the animation is crap. If it wasn’t for the story and voices, I would have hated it I think.

The Voices are pretty good in the English and I would actually watch the show in English just for one voice, Crispin Freeman is the voice of Alucard; and as matter of fact, he is Extremely good at it. He has a voice that much like Vic Mignogna, makes most girls swoon over and him playing a smooth vampire with a bad boy glare would have anyone wanting him to take a bite out of them… except for the Twilight fan girls who lord knows how many would bug me about how Alucard doesn’t ‘sparkle’ (Can I roll my eyes at you now?) But the other voices are actually up to par with Crispin’s, except for some side characters who don’t last more than one episode. Now when we do look at sub verses dub in this, you have to remember that this is set in good old England and not in Japan and so from my perspective, the English works much better then the Japanese, same for a lot of others. That’s because most of the time, Japanese people have a strange idea of just how western countries sound or act. The same goes for English going to Japanese, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Other Anime Reviews by angelsreviews

Chibits user review by angelsreviews

Chibits