angelsreviews's avatar

• Oregon
  • Joined Jul 14, 2013

Paranoia Agent

Jul 25, 2013

It’s pretty interesting. The first thing you see is a lot of people lying about something and it seems that there is a lot of it going on. It starts out with off with stories that seem not to go together except for the slugger. First it was Taukiko Sagi, then the reporter bothering her, and then two high school students, and then a woman with a dual personality. Strangely, each character seems to be better after being attacked. I am not quite sure how it’s supposed to help but it seems to.

There are a lot of things about how the mind can play tricks on you, especially when you’re stressed. You can never tell is Lil’ Slugger is real or just within the mind of someone and yet, if he was in the mind of someone, then why is he able to hit so many people? It’s very complex and makes you think hard about the story line. There is also the thought that he only attacks those that are under emotional stress and psychological problems. It’s like a panic attack, something I’m used to since I get them often. Another thing that seems to happen is that they will start on a concept and then snatch the idea giving you a dead end to only go back to the start, and then suddenly find that there was something at that dead end they had to look at.

Now even though this was a horror, there are some episodes that I really think have no reason being, episode 5 for one, when we supposedly get info on the mind of a game crazy person and have the detectives running all around in his mind. I can understand that it’s supposed to somehow move the plot but to me, it felt pointless. It pretty much went into a dead end and threw the whole thing off. 8 also kind of had no point in that we followed three suicide pact people who just play around, trying to kill themselves.

The opening artwork is a bit trippy; showing so many people laughing there heads off without any reason. It freaked me out slightly. The artwork is somewhat off, but yet it works for how the story line is. Characters seem a little bland and makes them look like characters from BECK rather then any other. There really isn’t much that makes them stand out other then Maromi. That little dog is the only thing.

The music is actually pretty good for the opening. It’s very catchy. The ending music just feels childish and odd. The voices aren’t really all that special in the England dub, just pretty much normal voices.

In the end, it’s really hard to actually write about this since it’s not exactly what it really is.