alucard07

Bakemonogatari

3 JUL
2011

Story: (8/10)
I enjoyed the series plotline to a great extent. It always had something happening (if nothing happened, I guess it would be rather boring). I stumbled upon it by chance and after reading the tags and synopsis, I thought that would be a nice thing to watch, what I don’t want to do is blow the storyline for everyone but what i can say is that the aberrations that Araragi-san and Senjogahara-san encounter. Of course even with the supernatural side of the story, it even shows the typical story of a tsundere’s relationship. If, like me, you’ve watched a fair few anime, you’ll understand some of the references used in the stories humorous side. Well I’ll end my story evaluation on the note of that I would have loved to have seen an OVA/special of Araragi Koyomi’s encounter with the vampire during Spring Break and how he was saved.

Animation: (8/10)
I thought that it had a very nice animation; I loved the idea of shifting from letterbox view into full screen, and the fact that in some scenes, the colour scheme had completely changed. The animators knew when animation was needed and when a blank screen was enough for us to understand the situation. The multiple blank coloured frames dotted in the episodes made it feel like you were watching it before it was to be fully edited- an aspect we never get to see and a wise technique nonetheless, the photo scenes were a nice addition too, adding reality into the anime, in quick short bursts, even if it was as simple as a hand holding a phone.

Sound: (7.5/10)
I think that the background music was fitting but I did believe that most people would be more concerned with the story than that. I think different opening songs for each arc was nice, I love to listen to opening songs from anime, I find it quite relaxing and fun. I think that these opening themes, and ending themes suited the arcs and the anime itself, to say it in short, it was pleasing.

Characters: (8/10)
I think the characters really did develop well, from the typical tsundere (who even labelled herself as one) and the not-so-lucky 1/10 vampire went well together, with the introduction of other characters, you found that there was a variety yet it stuck to the theme. There were no over-the-top characters that could of ruined the series and I think that only including the necessary characters was ideal as it made us focus on them more than if a room was crowded etc.

Overall: (9/10)
I really enjoyed this series and as I said in the story section, I would love a series 2 or even OVA to clear up the things we’re all eager to learn more about. This was my first review and thank you for reading. ^.^

EDIT: Kizumonogatari, the prequel to bakemonogatari is being made into a Live Action Movie X3

Other Anime Reviews by alucard07