alsharid's avatar

• Joined Jun 17, 2008

Welcome to the NHK!

Dec 20, 2011

Introduction

The anime is about a NEET, someone Not in Employment, Education, or Training, named Saitou. He is a "hikikomori" who is a person that suffers from social withdrawal. A girl named Misaki enters Saitou's hikikomori life and promises to help him overcome his problems despite Saitou not asking for help. When I first read this anime's synopsis, I thought that it was one of those romantic comedies with the same scenario but polished differently. I was especially sure that was the case after I watched a trailer. I was looking for something to cheer me up, and I thought this might just be the anime to do so. On the contrary, this anime shoved me deeper down the depths of the abyss of depression; therefore, if you came here searching for an anime to help you laugh away your life's problems this is not the anime for you, but if you feel like igniting the sadness and sorrow within you that seldom appears, then rest assured, this anime will do just that.

I have never seen an anime with a story as deep and compelling as that of Welcome to the NHK! When an anime's story makes you look at yourself and feel one with its protagonist, you know it has done a marvelous job. I cannot write much about the story without spoiling it, but I will say its a thrilling ride of emotions. The story is funny, sad, and thought-provoking. I say must I found some parts of the story hypnotic. It will change your way of thinking. Needless to say, the story of this anime is dangerous; although it is absolutely one of the best out there. Every tear dropping from your eyes will carry a bucket-load of emotions. The anime will make you think of the question "what if?" quite a lot. What if this character did that? What if this happened? etc. An anime that makes you think of various alternate scenarios of the anime has made its impact on you, and you will not easily get it out of your mind.

Welcome to the NHK's animation is nothing special, but its not bad either. The character designs are excellent in my opinion and they properly reflect each character's personal dilemma. The character designs reminded me of Great Teacher Onizuka and Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The animation is good. It conveys the story well, and I assure you it does not water down this perfect anime.

Welcome to the NHK! has an amazing sound track that also adds to the overall depressing mood of the anime. The opening and ending songs are really good as well. At first, you will find the ending somewhat bizarre, but eventually you will get hypnotized by those "KIDULTS" that dance around in the ending, and you will find yourself dancing with them.

The main character, Saitou, is every anime fan. There is absolutely no way you will not relate with Saitou if you are an anime fan. His depression, his lonesome thoughts, his fears, his inability to socialize, and his suffering are some of the characteristics we anime fans share with Saitou. Some of us, including myself, might see themselves as a copy of Saitou in every way, or any of the characters not just Saitou. If you are like Saitou or another character, then this anime will be a wake-up call. You will relate closely to the characters. The other characters like Misaki have their problems, and you will feel their suffering throughout the anime. I would mention other characters, but writing anything more than this could spoil this awe-inspiring anime for you.

Conclusion

This anime will explore the depths of the mind of the anti-social. It will tell you whether or not you have become one, and it will tell you how to cure yourself if you are anti-social.  Social outcasts in Japan are often fanatic and obsessive anime fans. I watched this 24-episode anime in just three days. It was that good, but that fact shows I am becoming like the anti-social hikikomoris of Japan. This anime is a classic. You will laugh. You will cry. You will ponder. Welcome to the NHK!

SexyTLC says...

I completely agree with everything you said; also with your rating.

Dec 20, 2011