XxZeroeZxX's avatar

XxZeroeZxX

• New Jersey, USA
  • Joined Sep 1, 2010

Let's get right into it, no need to set things up as I did in my review of the 1st season.

"Capture" 5 - Kusunoki Kasuga

Certainly, the least of the 3 captures of the 2nd season (and frankly of both seasons). I was never attached to Kusunoki (in fact I didn't remember her name). However, I did like the route that Kami-sama took. It set the tone for the more active routes Kami-sama would take in the 2nd season. He takes the role of Kusunoki's fighting apprentice, gains her trust, and gets her to accept her feminine side. And I'll admit I quite liked the "capture" itself, it was cute.

"Capture" 6 - Chihiro Kosaka

There was a lot to like about this capture. I liked that they brought back a minor character from the 1st season (as well as Ayumi, the 1st capture), and they even made a play on the minor character arc. I liked that the approach was so different from Kami-sama's traditional captures. And this may have been the best capture of both seasons in terms of showing the blossoming of the relationship. I was torn however on on the actual "capture" itself. I'm not saying it was underwelming, but it wasn't exactly what I was envisioning (it was a little cliché for me).

"Capture" 7 - Jun Nagase

This might be the most unique capture of both seasons. For the first time Kami-sama had to go after someone who was older and more importantly someone who was actually trying to get close to him. This was the best capture of the 2nd season, and probably the overall best capture of both seasons. My fav is still Kanon-chan because of how emotional it was, but Nagase's capture had a good deal of depth and complexity. And most of all like I said, it was a nice change of pace from the previous captures. And I loved the nonchalant nature of the actual "capture" itself.

But here's what sets the 2nd season apart... There's still more to say! There was a much better connecting thread in this season. The captures seem to tie in a little better and there's actually some stuff outside of the captures that goes on. Furthermore, Kami-sama seems to have some true character developement outside of just being the "God of Conquest," particularly by the end. Elsie cemented herself as a quirky minor character (read that as you like). And the thing I was most excited about going in was the introduction of Haqua. She wasn't as strong a feature in this season as I expected, but she was a welcome addition nonetheless. I think this presents a real relationship that Kami-sama can pursue. And he just might come season 3, the ending of this season implied that he'd at least consider a real relationship. Some people might think that would ruin the series, but I disagree since I anticipate that the 3rd season will indeed be the final season. But regardless, can't wait for season 3. And I should say, since I didn't say it outright, I very much liked the ending of the 2nd season as opposed to the abomination from the 1st season. The only thing left to speak on would be the music. The new OP is great in TV-size (I like the full-length version of the 1st season OP better), the ED however is a disappointment. But who cares? All in all, I would say that The World God Only Knows 2 is a solid follow-up to the 1st season, 7.5 out of 10.

(It's not totally fair, but I have downrated this since let's face it, 2 of the 3 captures from this season are totally irrelevant to the overall story. Season 3 is great though don't let this discourage you!)

8.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
7.5/10 characters

kaosu says...

*clap clap clap*

If there is a season 3, I will watch it and I will love it.  I just love how this series plays out (with individual subplots with an overall general plot that seems to be able to go on forever).  Gotta agree with everything you said.  Even about the music (love the first Oratorio). :)

Jul 15, 2011