XxZeroeZxX's avatar

• Joined Sep 1, 2010

Toradora!

Mar 25, 2011

Love knows a matchmaker

Revisited (6 months later or so)

This is a review I've been waiting to get back to. After rewatching the last ep, I realized that I was being much too harsh in my criticism of the ending in my original review (which is why I decided to do a repost altogether). It's not so indecisive as I had implied. And for that I apologize. This is why I now almost exclusively write reviews within a few days (and preferably a few hours) of watching the anime. Granted, the ending is kinda stupid, but I mean it wasn't awful. I don't like these half-baked confession scenes at the end of anime; if you're gonna go that route, you have to go all out and make the scene romantic. Now, people are gonna say, "Well what about the kissing scene?" This scene is fantastic, probably the most iconic of the series (though it's hard to say cause there were a lot of great scenes). However, it wasn't the last scene. And thus, it is not the immediate impression you're left with. You've gotta think back before you can realize, 'wow this was an amazing series.' And to continue what I was saying earlier, if you do have a serious romantic ending and choose to follow that up with a comedic scene, there's nothing wrong with that (but you have to separate the two). Both Please Teacher and Karin implemented this technique successfully (and I'm sure other series as well). But let’s not kid ourselves here, Toradora! is such a great rom com series, who really cares how it ended? It was the steady progression of Taiga and Ryuuji's relationship that made this series so compelling. Ryuuji is probably my fav male character of all-time and I doubt he will be knocked off his perch anytime soon. Maybe it's because I personally identified with Ryuuji so much, but so what if it is? Taiga of course is also stupendous; and more importantly, she's incredibly memorable and iconic. All short female characters in anime since 2009 that even have a remote romance theme are at least loosely based on her. The most obvious example came in Fall 2010 with MM! and Mio-sama. You can see my review to get my take on how well they pulled that off. And this is true of the series in general. Toradora! has very rapidly become a standard in the anime community. Needless to say, you know you've done something right if everyone is trying to copycat it. One more thing... I didn't have the balls to mention this in my original review apparently, but I would not have been totally outraged if Ryuuji ended up with the model chick, Kawashima, in the end. But that probably would have required a 2nd season to compensate. Not that I'm against that idea either ;)  So Toradora! is simply sublime and worthy of a 9.5 out if 10!