XxZeroeZxX

Natsuiro no Sunadokei

20 NOV
2010

Worth doing some digging

I came upon Natsuiro no Sunadokei as a suggested search on the website for several series of which I had interest, primarily Air. And I was quite pleasantly surprised by this 2 episode OVA. I should say first of all, this was an absolute nightmare to find an online stream but once I finally did... this OVA did not disappoint. I'm gonna draw a few parallels here between Natsuiro and Air just because of the related anime, that's the one I think correlates best that I've watched. Both series implement a non-linear timeline with varying success. This technique I feel is better executed in Natsuiro. It comes in the form of these 'time jumps' that Koutarou, the main character, experiences. This is a quirky little feature that both generates some interest and pushes forward the plot. Another similarity that Natsuiro shares with Air is that the female leads both have this longing-to-fly-free mentality. In Air, this is quite literal; but in Natsuiro, it's a matter of Kaho (the female lead) wanting to live a normal life and escape from the tyranny of her father. Moving on, Natsuiro's story is really quite good. It's a bit fast-paced I suppose, after all this is just a short OVA. And considering that the vibes you get are that of a slow-paced series, I guess this could throw some people off. But the plot is very interesting and frankly not too difficult to follow (in terms of depth), so I didn't really find the pacing to be a big issue. The ending brings a bit of a twist which is commendable considering once again the length of the OVA. The animation design is also quite lovely, very well done. You do a get a connection and a sense for the three most important characters (Koutarou, Kaho, and Ligene) in spite of the length. There isn't much character introduction, but you just go with the flow and things work themselves out quite nicely. Ligene is the time traveler and the reason for Koutarou's 'time jumps'. She's an interesting character because she doesn't appear too much, but has a certain air about her that comes across in the ending. This series really could have done with some better music. There are several scenes that would have been made more profound with something along the lines of a School Days or Air soundtrack. I guess I'll take a sentence or two to make my pitch as to why this would have made a good full length series. First of all, it could have added a lot of drama... certainly would be well-suited. And, with the ending it had... it could certainly have a second season if it were full length. But as it stands, still a very solid stand-alone OVA (which I'm starting to watch more of). I will say the length has hurt my overall impression of this series. While the story and characters were very promising, the lack of development in both these facilities makes it difficult to retain my previous high score for this series. As such, 7.5 out of 10 is what I can give. An enjoyable watch, but not something that really sticks with you.

Other Anime Reviews by XxZeroeZxX

overall score: 8.5/10

• Animation 8.5/10
  • Sound 6.5/10
  • Overall 7.5/10

comments

XxZeroeZxX avatar XxZeroeZxX
Jan 10, 2011

@Xplayer

Very fair comment, I did come in without those expectations

Xplayer avatar Xplayer
Jan 10, 2011

In my opinion, the OVA seemed very, very rushed in plot and character development. But maybe that's because I had the original Visual Novel to compare it to.