XxZeroeZxX

The Big O

2 SEP
2010

Ye Not Worthy!

Note this review encompasses the entirety of Big O. So this is my first review of an anime that I rewatched. I watched Big O when I was a kid and naturally felt the need to eventually rewatch it. And overall I'm glad I did. I'll be honest I absolutely hate the intro, it gave me a headache every time I heard it so I stopped after about the 3rd episode. Everything about the back-story is very vague and doesn't quite get cleared up as the series goes along. And while I fully understand that this was intentional, it wasn't a dynamic I particularly enjoyed. But the story that does play out through the course of the series is in fact quite engaging. There are two moments in particular that stand out: the midpoint, and the ending. Both were truly dynamic and will not to be spoiled in this review. Needless to say that these are the reasons you watched the series. As far as the characters are concerned (which is a biggie for me) I didn't find myself particularly attached to Roger Smith (the lead) although I did find his name to be clever. However, Dorothy (his android partner) was quite compelling and was really the first non-humanoid character I grew to love in an anime. So overall, there are a lot of flaws in this anime; however, with a clever story and one timelessly compelling character Big O is definitely a good first step for appreciating similar anime which are probably better, still 6.5 out of 10 even with nostalgia.

Other Anime Reviews by XxZeroeZxX

overall score: 8.5/10

• Story 8.5/10
  • Characters 7.5/10
  • Overall 6.5/10

comments

default avatar Paint
Jan 24, 2011

Good review!! I have them all on DVD and got my roommate in college to watch them. Roger Smith is a badass but doesn't carry the connection between the viewer but that is not why you are watching this. You are watching this for story.