XxZeroeZxX

Strawberry Panic

1 SEP
2010

This is my second review, and once again very specifically selected. I'd like to preface this review by saying that I am a guy and I DID NOT give Strawberry Panic a 10 because it is a quintessential shoujo-ai anime nor am I gay. Rather this series is perfect in pretty much every way. The story is flawless. It has the right amounts of suspense, drama, twists (though in truth there isn't a huge plot twist or anything like that), and a satisfying ending. The characters are also very compelling. There really isn't a bad one in the bunch; each character plays their role no matter how big or how small. The story revolves around Nagisa-chan (a transfer student) and Shizuma-sama (the most revered girl at the academy). Both of these characters go through tremendous progression throughout the series as do a handful of the supplemental characters. But what makes Strawberry Panic truly fascinating are the development of the relationships between the characters. Some of the romances are portrayed to be straight while others are portrayed as gay (although obviously technically speaking they are all gay as there are strictly female characters). This dynamic really makes you re-think your definition of what love is or what it can be. And in contrast to my opening statement, I've recently downgraded this series to a 9.5 out of 10. Still the best true romance around, no one that watches this series and truly appreciates all of its subtleties could say any less in good conscious. But I guess I've come to realize why the pure romance genre is basically dead, it's a bid old fashioned. Don't get me wrong, SP is fantastic and bottom line you can't call yourself a fan of the romance genre if you haven't watched this series.

Other Anime Reviews by XxZeroeZxX