XxZeroeZxX's avatar

XxZeroeZxX

• New Jersey, USA
  • Joined Sep 1, 2010

Gargantia, it has a nice ring to it

Well, another long overdue review at this point lol. I'm not gonna pull too many punches here, Gargantia is one of the best shows of the year straight up. You're initially drawn in by the beautiful scenery and the wonderfully novel concept that builds through the initial few eps. It's just a great person in a strange world sort of story that you really don't see enough of. And the mix of fantasy and plausibility I thought was really expertly done. After this bit of exposition, the story sinks a bit into that comfortable SoL mode where admittedly not too much is really happening plot wise and it's more about building that emersion with the world of Gargantia. It's the sort of thing that as an SoL fan I'm used to, but I know it unnecessarily turns some people off. Everyone wants those shows that never take the foot off the pedal, but a lot of those shows tend to crash and burn. Gargantia starts with a solid foundation, before it hits you with that knockout punch. And almost inexplicably, this apparent SoL gets a plot, and a damn good one at that. It's an incredibly strong 2nd half with surprises in store, and it just gets better and better as it goes along which is what you always want to see. And this is the point where you might be thinking, oh this all sounds very generic yeah you liked to show but so what? Well you want that so what factor, you've got it. This ending is FANTASTIC. I'm not talking best of the season, I'm not talking best of the year, I'm talking one of the best ever. Beautiful. Intense. Memorable. And that is what sets Gargantia apparent from just another good anime. Though, I did do a bit of a disservice to those surprises that are in store. Cause there were moments plural that I genuinely gasped, again not something you see very often. So I guess those are my general thoughts on the story/ plot. I'll go ahead and speak some on the characters. Overall not a big strength, but likable and the leads are pretty well developed. Ledo in particular has nice character development from being this person in a strange world to one of the gang if you will. But at the end of the day, it's Chamber the robot AI that steals the shows... and that's all I'll say about that. Amy is immediately and extremely likable, though she is fairly stagnant I'm afraid. I guess all that's left to say is that the music is very much appropriate to the series so no complaints there (and I like the ED). So yeah, Gargantia is a great show and a nice easy watch so go for it! 8.5 out of 10.

8.5/10 characters