Wingedkratos's avatar

Wingedkratos

• You cannot comprehend the true form of my location
  • Joined Jun 17, 2010

Elemental Gelade

Sep 11, 2010

(Rather than my usual format, I will attempt to use a different, more organized style based on the score categories...so here goes my review for the anime, Elemental Gelade.)

The story involves a young orphan by the name of Coud Van Giruet who wants to become a man and a real sky pirate, thus he works as a trainee with a band of sky pirates known as the "Red Lynxs". After successfully raiding another ship of its treasure and returning, Coud goes into the room where the treasure is kept and looks around a little, eventually coming upon a strange coffin. Somehow, he manages to activate and open this coffin by pressing strange buttons on it in the exact right order without knowing the actual combination if there was one, and thus the coffin slowly opens...revealing what he mistakes for a doll. However this "doll" is not a doll at all, as it is actually a girl that is known as an Edel Raid who would later be known as Reverie Metherlence or "Ren" for short. Being an Edel Raid, she ages more slowly than humans, so her actual age in human years is questionable, but she takes on the appearance of a young girl around Coud's age.

After Ren is released, she quickly realizes that Coud is a human, and shows extreme dislike of him due to the fact that Ren believes all humans use her kind (Edel Raid) as tools of war and nothing else. Without much more talking, Coud takes Ren to the main area of the ship, where it turns out that the ship they robbed earlier had found them and they boarded the Red Lynxs' ship. The owners of the ship, Cisqua, Rowen, and another Edel Raid called Kuea Envatilia find Ren and Coud and attempt to make a bargain with Coud using money to get Ren, however he refuses and is angry at their attempt to buy Ren as if she were property. A little while later, a random group of ninja attack the ship in an attempt to steal Ren, and Coud tries to fight them off and protect Ren. However he proves to be no match for them by himself, and is almost defeated.

It is then that he states how he is similar to Ren and shows his resolve for protecting her, and this moves Ren, so she decides to "react" (aka merge) with Coud. Using the jewel on her forehead known as an Elemental Gelade, she forms a contract (similar to a pact) with Coud and becomes a giant sword that attaches to his arm. This gives him the power to defeat the ninja easily, but the ninja eventually cause the ship to crash, and with the help of the trio that boarded the ship earlier, known as members of the group called "Arc Aile", he escapes the Red Lynxs' ship with Ren and thus begins his adventure.

For an older anime, I actually really enjoyed this one...the general story/plot is pretty original, but how they play it out is extremely interesting, and probably one of the more interesting stories out there. This anime is a good example of how original stories don't always equal bad or boring stories.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the way the anime's graphics are used that I can think of. If anything, for an older anime, it is pretty decent looking and I doubt that there is much that could have been improved. I suppose maybe you could add more "flashy" stuff in there, but it is definitely not needed, nor do I see a point of there being a remake with updated animations/graphics. The characters and other things moved smoothly and I didn't get the sense that they were doing anything that look cheaply animated.

There's not really much to say here honestly. The actual "sounds" in the anime were nothing spectacular, but that's not really that important in general as long as you don't hear a bunch of "cracking" or annoying/repetitive sounds, I guess. The music was decent, but other than the opening theme "Forever", nothing that I would personally search for and listen to. The Voice Actors for the Subbed version were very well done, especially Ren, which worked perfect for her. There is really no one that I can think of whose voice actor seemed bad to me. This unfortunately cannot be said for the Dubbed version though. Coud's voice was not that great dubbed, and compared to the Ren's Japanese voice actor her English voice actor failed in comparison.

While none of the main characters screamed of uniqueness, most were decent enough as to not be extremely boring.

Coud- Coud is a young orphan sky pirate that is horrible at piloting planes who dreams of becoming a man one day, and works with a group of sky pirates called the Red Lynxs. He was likeable to me and had a pretty cool, but normal-for-anime-characters hairstyle which is probably one of those impossible to have in real life without a pound or so of awesome hair gel hairstyles. At least it was a normal color. Right from the start, he had similar qualities to my own (such as an extreme dislike towards treating innocent girls like trash), which is probably part of what made me like him.

Ren- Ren is a quiet, mysterious girl known as an Edel Raid, however she has been called a Shichiko-hoju which is a special type of Edel Raid that hasn't been seen in around 500 years. I tend to like the shy/mysterious female characters more for whatever reason, as they seem more interesting and aren't usually an open book as to their likes and dislikes. They make the main character work to get information about them. Sometimes they get in comical situations in which they misunderstand certain actions or words of the main character. You get my drift.

Cisqua- Cisqua is an upbeat girl that is the leader of her small group that works for an organization known as "Arc Aile", which works to keep Edel Raids from being used as slaves and gives them freedom. What I liked about her was her attitude, basically, but there were some parts of her I didn't like. Mainly just the way she always thought about money and that she was going to betray Coud.

Rowen- Rowen is a polite, sensible guardian of Arc Aile who is great at cooking and dislikes conflict, but will not hesitate to save his friends if they are in trouble. Rowen wasn't particularly one of my favorite characters, but I certainly don't dislike him at all in anyway. He's pretty much the "nice guy" of the group and pretty reliable, so I don't see a reason to not like him at least a little. He is a tad bit boring though I guess.

Kuea- Kuea is an Edel Raid who has contracted Rowen, and often eats a large amount of food while still managing to keep her slim figure regardless. Kuea was very likeable imo. Being a huge food addict and coming off as a goofy character, but actually being a pretty wise and mature character at times appealed to me a bit.

Overall

A great anime that will appeal to pretty much anyone who likes action, adventure, and romance anime. I highly recommend it if you are into sword fighting and magical powers/abilities, but don't expect mind blowing action that will leave you in awe. IMO however, the fighting is unique, as I don't believe I've seen an anime that uses fighting styles similar to how Coud fights with Ren like that before. This anime is pretty clean so if you are one of those people who are specifically hoping that this has some or a lot of ecchi/panty shots/nudity or anything, then you won't find it in this anime.

roriconfan says...

The story is not original as you make it and the anime as a whole is very forgettable next to One Piece or Soul Eater.

May 22, 2012