Wander's avatar

• Indiana
  • Joined May 17, 2010

Cencoroll

Oct 6, 2012

How to describe Cencoroll's story?  How much can really be described and reviewed from a short movie clocking in barely under thirty minutes?  Luckily, I didn't have to struggle too much.  Atsuya Yuki, the anime's sole writer, designer, animator and director does a very fine job of fitting a large, action packed story into a short, thirty minute segment.  The story begins with protagonist Tetsu chatting to his shapeshifting creature named Cenco.  Shortly into the film another important character is introduced.  Her name is Yuki.  The rest of the story revolves around Tetsu and Yuki and the soon to be introduced antagonist of the film, Shu.  The story revolves around these three characters as they fight amongst themselves all while being threatened by the military.  You won't be on the edge of your seat at any point during the movie, but it's still enjoyable none-the-less.

This is where the anime really shines.  The animation is very well done.  From the creatures shapeshifting, to the character design, to the setting in Japan.  Everything is very well drawn and pleasent on the eyes.  The colors are bright, but not too bright.  The characters' facial expressions are very well done as well.  Overall I was pleasantly surprised seeing as this was a one man job.

There's not much to go on in the sound department.  The only music that actually plays is during the credits and it wasn't exactly to my tastes.  The voice acting is nicely done although there's not much emotion to it.  The sound effects are...well...there.  Given the size and length of the anime it's hard to take too many points off, as the movie did well with what it was given sound-wise.

The characters were uninspiring to say the least.  I wasn't expecting a grand array of character development but I found it hard to care about any of the characters.  I didn't exactly understand Cenco's motives for making its decisions and Yuki made a consiberably fast character transformation that was never really accounted for.  Tetsu was interesting but hard to care for.  These characters just didn't it for me.

Overall

This movie wasn't bad at all.  It just wasn't great.  However it  was certainly interesting and I would certainly recommend it to anyone with a half an hour to kill.  There are a lot of creative concepts brought forward in the movie and I'm a sucker for animes with imaginations.  Give it a try, you may just like it.