Wander's avatar

• Indiana
  • Joined May 17, 2010

Eureka Seven

May 18, 2010

The story to Eureka Seven wasn't exactly mindblowing, nor did it go above and beyond.  When I first started watching E7 I had no idea what was going on.  A quarter of the way through I actually thought maybe I missed plot-specific information so I ended up searching Google to figure out what a Coralian actually was.

Eureka Seven has a nasty habit of bringing something new to the story and then leaving you out to dry.  A word of warning: don't do as I did.  Everything is explained eventually, but personally I didn't like that approach.  I'm not a fan of staring at a screen as characters discuss something and I'm left thinking, "What in the world are they talking about?"

What I appreciated most about the story was the subtle allusions to the Holocaust.  On the Land of Kanon there is a religious group known as the Vodorac.  They reminded me of gypsies during WWII.  This is the only presented religion in the anime (at least that I'm aware of) and they stand for everything the military hates:the scub coral (an intelligent life form that forced humanity from Earth). To me, this is the most important theme in the anime. Tolerance and understanding play a huge role in the story and this sets up a solid foil system.

The animation is fantastic. The color scheme was bright and energetic.  It gave a feeling of hope and joy during some of the sad parts.  That's not to say that all of the series is so colorful.  During some of the flashbacks the creators made a dark contrast to the usually colorful pallet.  I really liked how the characters were drawn.  I'm not a fan of big eyes and tacky, unrealistic character designs and I thought Eureka Seven did it right.  The mecha were beautifully drawn and the fight scenes were fantastic.  I especially enjoyed the blood that exploded from destroyed LFO's (the mechs).

I really enjoyed the soundtrack to E7.  It drew a smile to my face when Holland stated that he, "hates old people music," as heavy rock echoed through a science facility.  None of the music got in the way of the anime and it really helped bring out the emotions of the moment.  Techno is the genre that is typically played, and it fits the futuristic setting quite well.

I thought that Renton and Eureka were perfect.  At first I didn't think I would like Renton because he was so whiny and immature, but I was amazed at how far he matured by the end of the series.  His annoying infatuation with Eureka was the worst but I'm glad that Renton, along with most of the major characters, were given a solid character development.  I don't think I liked any of the characters as they were first introduced, but as the story grew and the characters matured I ended up putting a special place in my heart for them.  Maybe that's what the creators had in mind for this anime.  In fact, the characters who matured along the way are the only ones I actually cared for.

There were plenty of characters, and by the time I finished watching the series I could easily point out any and all character traits.  However I felt that some characters were a little too ridiculous or overall unnecessary.  Two obnoxious characters to me were Gidget and Moondoggie.  To this day I really don't understand their purpose in being created (although Moondoggie did have some character development).

Overall I was happy with all of the characters; even the short appearance of Charles and Ray (two interesting, arguably necessary characters).  The obvious foils (Holland and Renton) created an uneasy tension that enraged me enough to keep me interested.

Finally, Renton and Eureka.  These two characters are what make this anime.  Without these two, I would have stopped watching after the first three episodes.  The character development these two go through are remarkable and I certainly wasn't expecting such a thought out relationship.  Renton without Eureka is a whiny fourteen year old who likes to be dramatic.  Eureka without Renton is cold and oblivious to the world.  However, when you put these two characters together you really make the perfect couple.  They push each other to learn and mature throughout the series.  Their relationship goes from infatuation, to adoration, to true love.

Overall

I thought Eureka Seven was a great show.  Until this show came along I really wasn't that into anime.  I would advise E7 to anyone.  I don't like romance in anything I watch, but for some reason I was enticed by Renton and Eureka's bond.  Their relationship was perfectly balanced and never got annoying to watch.  The characters were easy to relate to; they were victims to jealousy, love, nervousness, fear and hatred just like us.  As an example to how much this show has touched me, I'd like to tell a short story.  I remember watching Grave of the Fireflies at the request of a friend.  Apparently I seemed like a monster for not being even a little bit sad.  I generally don't get saddened by movies or shows, but because Renton was so easy to relate to (I was just like him at fourteen) several times during the series I had to hold back a growing knot in my throat.

This was a great series, and although it might not be for everyone, it certainly changed my perspective on anime.

8.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters

airbornefilip says...

Interesting review which made me to add Eureka Seven to want to watch list. Now I just need some free time so I can enjoy.

Jul 15, 2012
Ghosty says...

That was a great review! i honestly agree with everything you wrote. :) i just finished this anime and i cant stop thinking about it and feel depressed =(

Jun 30, 2010